
I was expecting my gift from the President to be something like a $5 gift card to the Apple Pie Bakery. I went to the mail room after class today, and I had three packages and a sweet card. Thank you, Kitchen Family, Mary Catherine, Dr. Ryan, and J. Crew. Dr. Ryan's was wrapped in fruit paper with a note attached. When I opened it, I pulled this out of a box. It is a wood box of Roth Hall. Someone suggested it is a recipe box. Cool. You might not care, but I thought I would post a picture, anyway. I apologize that it is not so clear.
Last night, karaoke was canceled because of the rain. No singing in the rain? :) Instead, I paid five dollars to go to the Bacchus Wine Society. We sampled seven different wines from Madrid, two whites and five reds, and we learned about wine-making in Madrid and Spain, in general. Needless to say, I was feeling good by the time bed time came around. Maybe I should join the wine society?!
My day started today around 9. I woke up and read an assignment for Gastro. In Gastronomy, I have a project on Paul Bocuse, the famous French chef, to present on June 22, along with two other people, both culinary students. We met at 10 at the Library to talk over some things and to decide what we want to do to make our presentation distinctive. At around 11, we headed to the Cuisine of the Americas kitchen for lunch. I had jerk chicken with plantains and rice and chocolate mousse with a hint of amaretto for dessert.
Today, in Gastronomy, we learned the difference between taste and flavor. Food can taste salty, sweet, sour, or bitter (and umami?). When you plug your nose and eat, you are tasting the food. The flavor is connected to the olfactory system, the feel, the aroma, etc. Flavor is everything other than taste. We tasted several different liquids and had to distinguish between salty, sweet, bitter, and sour. After sampling, she told us what each thing was. At the end of class, she asked us to chew a mint leaf, Altoids, tic tacs, then eat a pepper, followed by sparkling water, swishing three times. Interesting, right? I thought I ate a green pepper, but it was a jalapeno. Amazing. I love this class.
In Food Safety, we elaborated on the food hazards and factors. We talked about the misuse and cross-contamination of the hand towel (the towel on the apron of most chefs). One word: disgusting. Then, he lectured about pH and water activity, two other Food Science terms. Professor Vergili usually asks me questions that I cannot answer, but today, I was the only one who knew the chemistry behind pH.
Dinner tonight was one of the best I have eaten here yet. For the appetizer, we ate an arugula salad with cured beef and artichokes. The main entree was strip loin, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Best meal ever. Remember the cheesecake I had last week? Well, it was served again. Yes, please.
Math quiz tomorrow. Should I study now?
Oh, and yes, Mom, my nose is still pierced.
Make cupcakes, not war?
Haley
Look at that biology degree coming in hand! Love the blog! Sounds like your life is absolutely wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI'm always soooo hungry after reading your blogs! Excited about my sign-off COMING SOON!
ReplyDeleteHaley, you must consider blogging part of studying, because as you retell things you learned in class you are helping put it into your long term memory! That's why the teacher always learns more than the student.
ReplyDeleteCook on! Maybe I should say Eat on!
Carla