Monday, June 7, 2010

I heart weekends.

Yesterday was my first venture to the "concrete jungle where dreams are made" (aka New York City, for those of you who live under a rock and do not know JayZ and Alicia Keys). I woke up super early to make the 7:40 train from the Poughkeepsie station to Grand Central. The train ride is usually about an hour and a half. (I made it in a little over an hour on the express train when I came to visit in April.) Danielle and I arrived at Grand Central around 10, stopped at Starbucks, bought a MetroCard, and rode the subway to the stop near the WTC site. We walked to Battery Park, saw Lady Liberty from a distance, and headed to Pearl Street. We ate brunch at a pub called Ulysses on Pearl, where you can get a delicious brunch for a reasonable price with a complimentary Mimosa, Guinness, or Bloody Mary. (I opted for the Bloody Mary).

We hopped on the subway again and navigated our way to Brooklyn to go thrift store shopping. I have never been to another borough before (besides to go to the airport), and I enjoyed being separate from the City, without being separated from the City. We went to Mode and Beacon's Closet. I bought a cupcake figurine (stop judging me, right now) and a cute tank top. These thrift stores are intense thrift stores; needless to say, they are a little different than the community thrift store in Jasper, Georgia (Yay Pickens County), which I love. I was almost overwhelmed by the size, but it was fun to go nonetheless.

We needed a break from the endless rakes of clothes, shoes, purses, etc. and stopped at a little bar in Brooklyn. While we were resting, it began to rain. With the rain and construction on the subway, unfortunately, we were forced to change our next plan to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Instead, we took the subway back to Manhattan, stopped at a Starbucks, and people-watched at Battery Park. It was about this time that my phone began to die. (Tyler, I promise I will see you the next time I come to the City. My charger is on my list of things to bring now.)

Fallon got off work at about 6, and she helped pick a place for us to eat and meet her halfway between where we were and were she works/lives. Danielle and I rode the subway to Times Square and met Fallon at El Tequilazo, a Colombian/Mexican restaurant on 46th (I was "wellcome" there, according to the menu). After eating, chatting, and laughing (thanks for the hiccups), Fallon helped us navigate our way on foot to Grand Central. (Walking and full stomachs= not fun) We boarded our train thirty minutes early and secured separate seats to stretch out on the ride. (And, it would have been an enjoyable ride if the older couple on a date sitting across the aisle would have stopped trying so hard. Seriously, I do not care about your kettle corn popcorn, and I really do not want to hear you making out.) Two hours later, we arrived in Poughkeepsie, at about midnight, exhausted.

I did not set an alarm last night because I did not have class this morning. It was so great. I woke up this morning, played around on my computer, and got ready for the day. I went to complete my math lab around 2:30. After finishing my lab, I walked to Roth Hall to check my mail (Thanks, JCon). At about 4, Danielle and I made granola, with rolled oats, crispy rice, dried fruit, almonds, and honey. We accidentally left it in the oven a little too long, but I think it tastes delicious.

For dinner, I had pasta with mushrooms and asparagus in a cream sauce and a side salad. The only downside to no class on a weekday is that there is no one to make desserts. I guess I should not complain, right? After dinner, I headed back to my room, which leads me to now, and I am trying to prepare myself for the week and get organized. (After my camera finishes charging, I am going to try and take some pictures. Be on the look out for those.) I might go to the SRC (rec center) later and play later.

Oh, and I should mention that the Georgia Softball team lost to UCLA yesterday 5-2. We made it to the final four teams in the College World Series, and we helped eliminate Washington, the defending champions, from the Series. Georgia ends the season 50-13, with no graduating seniors. I cannot wait for next season. I am proud to be a bulldog!

The only comment I have received about the blog (besides it being too long, which is not my problem, really) is that I need a proper sign-off. Well, it took me enough time to decide on a URL name. If you have any suggestions, then let me know.

Happy Baking?

Haley

*Happy Anniversary, Kellee and Brandon!

3 comments:

  1. Haley...I am so jealous you are in NY! Have a great trip : ) Miss you!

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I got mentioned in the infamous blog!! :) Sounds like you are having a blast. I am ready for pictures!

    ReplyDelete