Thursday, June 17, 2010

Did I move to Seattle?

Here is a newsflash for you, weather; it is June 17. I have lived in the Hudson Valley now for almost three weeks. For the majority of my time here, it has been chilly and rainy. I just talked to my sister on the phone walking back to Angell, and while she is driving to sunny (not oily yet) Destin, Florida, I am freezing to death here in New York. Does anyone feel sorry for me?

Yesterday, I had Product Knowledge in the morning and math last night. In PK, he handed back our quizzes (19/20), and we began a new unit on the cabbage family. When I think of cabbage, I think egg rolls and sauerkraut. Just so you know, there are many different vegetables in Mr. Cabbage's family: bok choy, Tuscan kale, collard greens, red cabbage, etc. We sampled a few of the cabbages, including kimchi, a pickled cabbage, mostly used in Korean cuisine. On later tests, we are going to be asked to recognize a specific product by its as-purchased name. I need to start visiting the storeroom in Roth, because a leafy green looks like a leafy green to me. "Oh, yes, that is standard kale." No, I am not that good, yet.

After PK, I tried to come back to my room to take a nap, as I was not feeling the greatest. I could not sleep, and therefore, I tried to get started on some school assignments. At about this time, I received a phone call, and I guess I will just leave it at that. (I am sure I will blog more about it later some time.) Before I knew it, it was time for dinner. I went to Banquet, for one of my favorite meals I have had in the East Wing in a while now:
Appetizer- Pasta Puttanesca (with Capers!) and Fettuccine with Ricotta and Spinach
Entree- Salmon (my favorite) with a Sweet Glaze, Leek Pilaf, and Green Beans
Dessert- Carrot Cake

From Banquet, I headed straight to math, where we learned how to use percent yields to calculate the as-purchased amounts and edible portions. In a recipe, if ingredients are designated in weights or volumes, the yield percent is used. If the ingredients are in counts (such as a whole onion or bunch of thyme), then no percent yield is needed. We went over several examples, and then, we answered questions on a handout. I do not find this math hard, and even though I am only in class for a little over an hour, I find it hard to stay engaged in what we are doing.

JCON IS HERE. We had to play hide-and-seek with campus markers before I actually saw her. She was driving around, and I did not know where she was. Anyway, she parked, and we walked to my room, to pack a few things. After walking around campus for a little bit, we drove to Target and then to Coldstone (Marble Slab, you are still my #1!) to chat for a little while, before heading back to the hotel. We watched the season premiere of
Top Chef, and as JCon went to bed (she drove a looooong way), I watched the second half of an episode of Law and Order: SVU (my other guilty pleasure, right Fizzy?). Even though I have spent the past two summers without TV, I still find it weird (but also refreshing) to live without it.

This morning, JCon and I headed back to the CIA. We had a little bit of time to kill before my class at 11:30, and I showed her around a bit. We ordered some breakfast at the Apple Pie Bakery (croissant and coffee for JCon and NUTELLA DANISH for me), and we talked specifics about the CIA and my program. I have not eaten at the Apple Pie Bakery since I moved here; it is relatively expensive and I already pay for meals with my tuition. It was delicious, and I cannot wait to work there, as that is my last two blocks here at the CIA.

I've been in class all day today. In Gastronomy, we took a quiz. Then, we talked a little about cuisine, the definition of cuisine, how to define it with questions, and the timeline of cuisine. Remember all the talk about my Gastro project on Paul Bocuse? Well, over the next two and a half weeks, each person in the class will present with their group a specific type of cuisine of a well-known chef. Today, two presentations were given on Careme, credited with Le Grande Cuisine, and Escoffier, credited with Classic Haute Cuisine. Alex, Jason, and I give our presentation on Tuesday.

In Food Safety, guess what we talked about? Yes, we continued with food-borne illnesses, specifically food-borne intoxications and infections, along with food-borne toxin-mediated infections. A food-borne intoxication is an illness that occurs from ingesting a toxin; the effects of the intoxication is felt almost immediately, like eating/drinking poison. A food-borne infection occurs when bacteria grows inside the body and onset is ususally 24-72 hours. InFection= Fever (see the F?). Food-borne toxin-mediated infections happen when bacteria produce toxins inside the body after being ingested. Want to eat now?

JCon knows more about Hyde Park and the CIA now than I do. While I was in class, she walked the pedestrian bridge (the world's longest) over the Hudson River. She visited the FDR Estate, the Vanderbilt Mansion, and the city of Poughkeepsie. JCon called after her campus tour. She was so excited to tell me about her awesome day. The Hudson Valley is a beautiful area with so many awesome things to do and see. I cannot wait to have my car to go exploring and hiking. We drove from the CIA to the Vanderbilt Mansion, and then, with a little time before our dinner reservation, we drove to Eleanor Roosevelt's house, Valkill. I have loved FDR ever since I did a presentation on him in the 5th grade (dressed like him, sitting in a wheelchair, giving a fireside chat). With what JCon has told me and with the little I saw today, I am not afraid to admit that I am excited about visiting Springwood, his home on the Hudson, and his Presidential Library.

JCon and I ate at the Ristorante Caterina de' Medici in the Colavita Center for Italian Food and Wine at the CIA. The menu was confusing, with antipasta, salads, first courses, main courses, etc. We, unashamed, asked the waiter what to do; he is getting a grade for this class and did not mind answering our questions. I ordered an asparagus, frisee, mustard salad and a chocolate martini for a cocktail. JCon and I shared a "pizza" tart with mushroom and peas. For my main meal, I ordered the homemade pasta with fish. For dessert, I had warm chocolate cake with a strawberry sauce. JCon had a salad, ravioli (with walnut sauce), and a selection of three homemade ice creams. It was delicious. I can now check off two of the five restaurants!

One more day of school. Almost halfway through Block B. NYC this weekend. Georgia in three weeks. Phew.

EAT MY WORDS.

Haley

*Thank you, JCon, for going to breakfast with me this morning; my life will never be the same knowing the Apple Pie has Nutella danishes.

*Thank you, Carlton, our waiter at Caterina, for being so precious. You did not mind me yelling your name across the restaurant (though I think JCon did), and you kept our water glasses full the whole meal. If only you did not hate on pastry students AND were not graduating three weeks after summer break..

1 comment:

  1. Dang Haley, get that blogging! Tell JCon I said hello and thanks for her encouraging post-card!

    ReplyDelete