Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Goodbye, Chair.

Unfortunately, my big, fluffy chair in my room was taken today. The chair violated the fire code, but I already knew that it did. I asked the Residence Director when she came to our room one day a few weeks ago if it met the code; she helped me find the materials tag and decided that it was not. I have no car and therefore no place to put this chair. I was not going to throw it away and decided to take full advantage of its comfyness until they checked the room. My choice was to either ask them to store it or wait until they came to do a room check. No worries because I can get it back in a few weeks and there is no penalty.

I had the hardest time waking up this morning, but I had to study for Product Knowledge. After getting dressed, I headed to the library to study in the quiet area. How hard is it to be quiet in the quiet area? You see the sign and there are other parts of the library that can be used for group study (aka you can talk rooms). I studied for about an hour, learning about the quality factors for and products of cabbage, greens, tubers, onions, stalk vegetables, etc. Our quiz in PK was twenty multiple choice questions, like the first quiz, but there was also a practical portion with ten additional questions. We had to go to the front of the class and answer questions about specific products. For example, there were two varieties of mushrooms on the counter, and we had to write their as-purchased name and whether they were cultivated or wild mushrooms. I think I did okay, but I already know I missed a few.

Before we took the quiz, Professor Mosher lectured about pods and roots. Pods include green beans, haricots verts, sugar snap peas, edamame, and snow peas. Roots include beets, radishes, turnips, horseradish, and parsnips. We tasted parsnips and turnips, as well as edamame, or soybeans. Did you know that eating too much soy can have adverse long-term effects on the body, such as on the liver? Vegetarians and vegans should be aware of this. I guess I should stop eating so much tofu and drinking soy milk everyday. Yeah, right.

Danielle and I worked out today. I made it on the elliptical for twenty-five minutes, while Danielle lasted an extra five minutes. She wanted to do yoga. I have never done yoga in my entire life. I acted like I knew what I was doing, when I was really just stretching. The main thing I hate about working out, especially here, is that I have to look presentable again after. With dinner an hour and a half after I worked out, I had to look professional again after being all sweaty. Geez.

I went to Banquet again tonight. I must admit that, while it does get annoying having to go night after night, I did miss it. Knowing where I am eating for dinner versus figuring it out with all of the other students on campus is simpler and easier.

Appetizer: Pork and Grape Kabob with Carrot Salad
Entree: Braised Short Ribs with Broccoli and Rice
Dessert: Creme Brulee with Strawberries and Homemade Chocolate Almond Biscotti (I LOVE creme brulee but I hate the carmelized sugar, or burnt sugar really, on the top. The creaminess of the custard with the crunchy of the sugar does not go together to me. I think that I am in the minority on this one. Maybe, one I graduate, I can change the world?!)

Tonight, we had math for a little bit longer than usual. We went over our quiz (19/20!), talked about recipe costing, and worked through some examples. Nothnagel also gave us our project assignments, due in one week, which apply all that we have learned thus far to one specific recipe using Excel. Jason, Alex, and I (Bocuse team) are on a team, along with Emily, who I mentioned giving her presentation before us on Tuesday in Gastronomy. It should be easy; I enjoy working on our own when it comes to Culinary Math.

The new season of Top Chef started last week, and of course, as culinary students, we love watching that show. There are actually several contestants who graduated from the CIA and one woman even teaches here. It is fun being able to see what we are learning about here being cooked on TV. I have not picked a favorite yet, but GO CIA STEELS. (FYI, Stephanie brought vegan cupcakes for us to try while we were watching Top Chef. They were made with peanut butter that already had cayenne pepper mixed with it; I have never heard of cayenne peanut butter. She also added cocoa powder, chocolate chips, coffee, and mint extract. They actually were really delicious, but there was a lot going on in them.)

I love watching the news and keeping up-to-date with what is going on in the world of sports. Have y'all heard about the former Georgia Bulldog tennis player, Isner, at Wimbledon? They suspended play today due to darkness but it is tied 59-59 in the fifth set. Are you serious? This match has broken the record for the longest tennis match with over ten hours of play, over seven in the fifth set. WOW. GO DAWGS!

Two more days and then it is the weekend! YAY.

EAT MY WORDS

Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment