Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Block B Blah.

Gastronomy project, worth 25% of my grade. Check. Easiest Food Safety quiz ever. Check. Reading for Product Knowledge. Check. Reading for Math. Half Check. Studying for PK quiz. No check yet. Oops. After tomorrow, I will be done for the week really. I do not have any assignments or quizzes on Thursday or Friday. Praise the Lord.

In Gastronomy this morning, we began class with a lecture/review of Le Grand Cuisine and Classic Haute Cuisine. Studying the progression of cuisine over time, the culinary contributions and philosophies of specific chefs, and how world events and technology have changed the way we view food is interesting. It is not my favorite thing we have studied or talked about in this class, however. With an hour left in class, Stephanie and Emily presented on Point, the French chef who is credited with introducing nouvelle cuisine. For their presentation, we also tasted two of Point's recipes, a beet and carrot salad and madeleines (one with Emily's modern twist). After they presented, Alex, Jason, and I did our presentation on Paul Bocuse. I specifically talked about his restaurants, the Bocuse d'Or culinary competition, and the Institut Paul Bocuse. We showed a video and served beet salad. Beets, beets, beets; I hate them. Professor Raider raved that she has seen several presentations on Bocuse, but no one seems to get him. She thinks we understand him.

In Food Safety, we had a ten question quiz over everything we have covered in that class thus far. It was the easiest multiple choice quiz ever, and I know I aced it officially, after going over the answers after the quiz class. We continued talking about the Hep A virus and Professor Vergili also lectured on parasitism. Roundworms and tapeworms, etc. Gross.

I checked my mail after Food Safety. (Thanks, Mom, Jess, and Gam. I promise not to spend too much money.) I hung out in my room for a bit, and then I went to Roth for dinner. I ate at the Cuisines of Asia again tonight. My Mom was a bit confused as to why I chose to eat at this kitchen again. Well, I really like their food and I can eat there whenever I want. I have no clue as to what specifically it was that I ate tonight. Wonton soup. Fish. It tasted very Asian. I was running a little late and they were closing the kitchen; I did not read the menu but asked for whatever they had left to eat. Banquet again tomorrow. Get excited, people.

I am feeling more and more settled here each and every day. I think that is why I do not have much fascinating to share these days. I am just continuing to go to class, eat fabulous food, and count the days until Block B is over. When Block B is over, I can look forward to some time at home and to coming back in August to actually learn about baking and pastry. My four classes now are okay, but I am over them. On the upside, when I come back, I will change classes every three weeks, and I am sure I will have plenty to talk about when I start these new classes. Look forward to that.

I need to study for Product Knowledge. I do not know if I can tell a pearl onion from a shallot or bok choy from Swiss chard. I better get on that.

Miss you, Georgia.

EAT MY WORDS

Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment