Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Georgia Peaches.

Today was a great day. I was supposed to wake up and study a little more than I actually did this morning, but I feel good about the quiz I took today in Product Knowledge. Before the quiz, Chef Mattel lectured on stone fruit, berries, and citrus. This was a slightly confusing unit, with some fruits ripening only on the tree and others ripening post-harvest. Peaches can ripen after they have been picked, while cherries should only be picked ripe. I learned a few interesting things. For example, the greening on citrus is actually a regreening and a sign of maturity and ripeness. Citrus should be heavy for its size with a thin skin for maximum juicing. I learned all about citrus with my tangerine specification, which I received a perfect score on, by the way.

I took a much needed nap between classes. Before I headed to dinner, I reviewed a bit for my math quiz, and then I met Danielle at the East Wing Dining Room for Banquet. As I have mentioned before, the dishes are beginning to repeat, with this being our fourth rotation of students in this class cooking and serving us. Therefore, I requested the vegetarian option, and I am so glad I did. (I did not want meat, again!)
Appetizer: Carpaccio with Mache and something else (There is a first time for everything in that I cannot remember exactly what else was on the plate.)
Entree: Sauteed Vegetable Risotto with Peas
Dessert: A Rich Chocolate Custard with Hazelnut Cookies (not its exact name listed on the menu)

The math quiz was easy. Now, I only have a final worth thirty percent of my grade separating me from an A in Culinary Math. We had to scale two recipes, calculate the cost of each item, the food cost per portion, and the selling price. There were also a couple of other questions we had to answer, one dealing with cost comparison of two similar ingredients. Once I was finished, we could leave.

I met Danielle in her room and we watched Twilight: New Moon. Tomorrow, I am going with Alex and hopefully Danielle (and maybe Melissa) to see Eclipse in the theater in Hyde Park. (Do you know why they released Eclipse today? There was an actual eclipse last night. Thanks, Kevin, for telling me such information!) The Student Rec Center sells discounted tickets to CIA students for $5, and we are going to the late showing at the Roosevelt Movies tomorrow. I AM SO EXCITED. Team Jacob? Team Edward? I am so torn. I wish I was Bella/ I am glad I am not because I would not want a sparkly vampire and a cute-with-his-shirt-off werewolf fighting over me. Right? :) I will let you know my thoughts tomorrow.

I studied a bit in the library for my Food Safety quiz after Twilight. I am not worried about it at all! Then, insert some unnecessary drama and here I am, ready for bed. Goodnight!

EAT MY WORDS

*Happy Twilight, and Happy Birthday, Kevers. Congratulations on finally being 23! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment