Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I met the President!

Today was boring, until around 5 when I received my schedule for the next six weeks and my baking and pastry kit. I literally sat all day listening to people talk about financial aid, the attendance policy, the dress code, health services, different clubs and organizations on campus, etc. Blah blah blah, as Ke$ha might say. I survived the day with two three-course meals; food is the saving grace around here, if you can imagine!

After getting dressed this morning in my finest attire, I headed to the library for three presentations, which lasted an hour each. The first presentation was titled "Computer Survival." Really? The second was "Safety Survival." Basically, I learned to evacuate a building when the fire alarms sounds. Thank you for that reminder. The last one was "Educational Survival Skills," which was the most helpful. Different people from all over campus explained about new elective classes being offered, the mentor program, tutoring services, etc. I can never get those three hours of my life back, unfortunately.

Do you want to know what I had for lunch? Of course, you do. For an appetizer, we had a melon and prosciutto salad, and for our main entree, we were served strip loin with a twice-baked potato and sauteed vegetables. For dessert, we had tapioca pudding, which was strange. I actually did not finish my dessert; I decided to save my calories for my second three-course meal of the day later.

In the afternoon, we listened to more talk. They should know that we stop listening after a certain period of time; our brains cannot handle too much information. There was a question and answer session with current students, which was informative. "Through a Chef's Eyes: Life at the CIA" was a presentation by a chef that taught at the CIA for thirty years and now works part-time with students. Danielle and I then went to see the student employment coordinator and then stopped at the Apple Pie Bakery for a snack. I bought a coke, and Danielle ordered a tea and a peanut butter and jelly macaroon. Then, we went back to the library for an informal conversation with the President.

The President opened the floor for any and all questions. Dr. Ryan speaks the truth, knows so much about the food industry, and is extremely well-versed. Yesterday, he told us to look over the Alma Mater and that today we would go over it. We were running out of time, and he asked if anyone wanted to show leadership, come to the front, and lead the Alma Mater. (He said whoever came down would receive a prize. I heart prizes.) Danielle convinced me to go to the front as co-leaders. Danielle claims she is tone-deaf. I am sick. We did not know the tune. You can imagine how awesome we were. Dr. Ryan told the class how important it is to be leaders and to take the intuitive to be bold in this industry. He asked us to write down our names, and then he shook our hands. I met the President. He is a Certified Master Chef. I am a big deal.

The Registrar's office then explained to us class schedules, the attendance policy (again!), and the importance of our GPA. We were dismissed in waves, and we received our schedules and kits. Overall, I am happy with my schedule, and I am hoping the next six weeks prove to be relatively easy for me.

Block B:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
11:30-1:30 Product Knowledge
5:30 Mandatory Three-Course Dinner at the East Wing Dining Room
6:30-7:50 Culinary Math

Tuesday, Thursday
11:30-1:30 Gastronomy
1:45-3:45 Food Safety
5:30 Mandatory Dinner

Class starts tomorrow. YAY!

I walked from the library back to Angell Hall to drop off my books and kit. Then, I walked back to the dining room for dinner. Tonight, we had a pea soup with ham for our appie. I, also, ordered chocolate milk (Hudson Valley local chocolate milk, actually) for dinner, because I can do that here if I want. Then, we were served duck with a pineapple peppercorn sauce and a side of polenta and green beans. We had coconut lemon dessert that started with the letter f. (I have not even started school yet. Cut me some slack on not knowing my dessert names yet.) It was different but so yummy.

I will try and post some pictures soon, per request!

Haley

4 comments:

  1. Mandatory Dinner...you life must be tough

    ReplyDelete
  2. haley. you are simply fabulous. i love this blog. and i love you. way to go with the ke$ha quote. some day she & i are going to be besties (you know, with her being from nash & all...) what did computer survival entail? they should have taught something more relevant- like Rabies Safety Training. Brad Springer does a fabulous job teaching that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question, So when is going to be the best time for me to come in this crazy schedule and can friends come to mandatory dinner??? I think I could enjoy a three course meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Jess's question about dinner...I want to come!! Also, it doesn't sound like your class load is going to be too bad at all. Gastronomy should be fun!

    ReplyDelete