Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I am getting old.

I am getting too old for this college scene. Don't get me wrong, as I had an incredible college experience at UGA. Too much drama surrounds college, not that I myself know from personal experience here at the CIA; I am just pointing out mere observations. If you would like me to elaborate, you should ask me. I have a few great stories. It begins with the fact that I did not get much sleep last night.

My alarm buzzed at about 8:45 yesterday, and I got dressed in my professional attire. I walked to the library to finish an assignment for my Gastronomy class. I printed my assignment and headed to Roth for class. Even though I am in this class for two hours, the time passes so quickly. Today we talked about aversions, preferences, taboo, and fears. Aversions are foods we dislike. Preferences are foods we like. We like/dislike foods for many different reasons: convenience, cost, memory, quality, taste/flavor, texture, etc. Generally, the reasons we like food are the same for why we do not like certain food. Taboo foods are foods that we do not consume based on religion, social acceptance, health/diet, etc. Fear foods are foods that we do not consume because we think they will physically harm us, with an illness or even death. She gave us three small products to taste and then asked us to go to labeled places around the room (aversions, preferences, taboo, or fear). We then had to explain why we chose to stand wherever we were standing. She then told us what we had actually just eaten, to bring her point around about our perception of foods.

Food Safety immediately follows Gastronomy. I do not mind Food Safety; I studied most of what we talk about in Food Science. Professor Vergili mostly lectured about food-borne outbreaks, why they happen, and why they are still relevant today. We talked for a significant period of time about E. coli O157:H7 and the practices that caused this strain to arise. There are three hazards, physical, biological, and chemical, in food safety and three factors, cross-contamination, time-temperature abuse, and poor personal hygiene. Food safety certifications are necessary in all food establishments!

I was supposed to eat Banquet for dinner, but, once again, the dining room was full by the time I got there (on time, mind you). I signed in for credit and walked to Roth to explore my dinner options. I have only eaten in the main K-16 kitchen, outside of going to Banquet and to town, since I got here a little over a week ago. There are many, many other options, such as the Cuisines of the Americas, Asia, and Mediterranean kitchens. I perused the menus for each of these kitchens. I was sold on the Cuisine of the Americas kitchen when I read that they were serving Southern foods. (If I cannot try the new spicy Chickfila sandwich, this must be the next best thing. Thanks, Chickfila, for introducing this new sandwich literally days after I move to the freaking North, where there are no Chickfilas for MILES.) I ordered the Carolina BBQ sandwich plate, with hushpuppies, pickles, and coleslaw. My only complaint was that they did not offer sweet tea to accompany my entree. For dessert, I tried this chocolate, lime, raisin creation, but I hated it.

I like to sleep. When I do not get enough sleep, I do not do as well in school, I get sick, and I am not the most chipper person to be around. This morning, I woke completely exhausted and mad, really. Life is unfair, I guess. I got dressed and went to the library to print an assignment for Product Knowledge (PK). Product Knowledge might be my favorite class this block. Today, we talked about organic, sustainable, and local produce. We also learned the difference between key terms in relation to produce: mature, ripe, climacteric, etc. In reference to specific produce, Chef Mattel asked if there was anyone from the South. I raised my hand, and he asked what state. I said Georgia, and he responded that Georgia is practically a Yankee state now. I shook my head, and he laughed saying that he made me angry. Do not worry about me conforming to Northern ways!

I came back to my room after PK, watched a little television on my computer, and took a nap. Before I knew it, my nap was over, and it was time to head to Banquet. For dinner, we had a mozzarella carpaccio with cured ham, Cornish hen with asparagus and macaroni and cheese custard (unbelievable), and poached pears. Unfortunately, after dinner, I had to go to math class. I like my professor, but, honestly, the hour and twenty minutes could be better spent doing other things. It is relatively simple math, and I like math; therefore, I do not mind too much.

So, do you remember me writing about getting a present for singing the Alma Mater from Dr. Ryan? Well, I received an email today from his secretary, and our gift is in our mailbox. By the time I went to check it, it was around 6:30, and the mail room was closed. The anticipation is killing me. I will let you know, first thing, when I found out.

Karaoke tonight? I should get some work done before then, I guess.

Treat ya later?

Haley

2 comments:

  1. Mom says...thank you notes impress Presidents!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac n Cheese custard?!!! Oh my goodness...I'd be in heaven! I'm gonna need you to get the recipe and make it for me :)

    Can't wait to hear what the gift is!

    ReplyDelete