Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Deutschland beats England.

In a way, the title says it all. On Sunday, Germany defeated England in the World Cup. Ich liebe Deutschland (even though Germans never use that phrase, really), and my last name is German. I win is what I am saying. After this block, I am taking the high road, and I am moving out of Room 204. I should not have to live with someone who threatens to make my life a living hell. There is only room in my heart for one Room 204, anyway, and that is in Athens, Georgia.

These past few days have been incredibly stressful, and I am thankful for my family and friends who have dealt with me through it all. It is not over yet but it will be soon enough, I guess. I have not been the easiest person to talk to or be around. I have been extremely frustrated. I have been sad and emotional; retelling multiple people what was happening, etc. was not easy. I have thought about leaving the CIA altogether. I have felt disrespected and abused. I have felt too like I was overreacting. It all comes down to the fact however that I have to live here, that this is my home away from home. No one should take away my dream. No one should make me feel the way she did, ever!

I have not felt much like blogging lately, and I apologize, faithful followers. I am not going to write/type about the specifics of my room change but know that I have spent a lot of my time dealing with it. Let us begin with Sunday. Sunday was the Block Party celebration for Stars and Stripes. I helped the student organization, SPICE, with their snow cone table. The Block Party included inflatable games, BBQ, snow cones, a dunking booth, sugar art, margaritas, smoothies, popcorn (chili and wasabi flavored), fried candy and oreos, cotton candy, etc. Danielle and I were partners in the balloon toss, we won, and each received a $5 gift card to Starbucks. It was a lot of fun, and I stayed down by the Hudson for several hours. After that, I came back to my room, freshened up, and had an altercation with you-know-who. Then, Danielle and I went to Dairy Queen, hoping that would make me feel better. I came back here and talked to several different staff people on duty. Danielle's roommate, Andrea, let me stay in her bed, and she bunked with her boyfriend, in a non-sketchy sort of way.

On Mondays, I have Product Knowledge in the morning, a break, and then math at night. Chef Mattel was back from Kansas City. (Yay, we missed him!) I am definitely glad that I have him for this class. The Professional Chef is a book that everyone here at the CIA receives at Orientation and uses throughout their time here. Rumor has it that he is responsible for much of the book. I helped Jae steward by organizing the herbs, apples, pears, and grapes at the front of the room before class. Do you know how many different herbs there are? Rosemary, curly leaf parsley, dill, chives, etc. The difference between herbs and spices is that herbs are the leaves and the spice can be anything else. We are only required to know a handful of the different varieties of apples and pears. Red Delicious and Granny Smith, as examples, and D'Anjou and Bartlett for the pears, along with a few others. We did not talk extensively about grapes. Did you know that the ambering at the stem in the flesh of grapes should actually be preferred?

I tried to come back to my room yesterday between classes to take a nap, but the butterflies in my stomach had other plans. I went to Banquet yesterday at about five. I sat at the most annoying table ever, with two Bachelor's students who criticized everything about the food. I was not that hungry anyway.
Monday Banquet
Appetizer: White Asparagus with Mushrooms
Entree: Beef Tenderloin with Haricots Verts and Potatoes
Dessert: Tiramisu

Yesterday was our last long day in math to make up for not having class last Friday. It was almost unbearable. We learned (or reviewed really) how to calculate cost per portion from a recipe, food cost percent, and the selling price per serving. Professor Nothnagel is very thorough but I feel like he could teach what he does in two hours in less than an hour. I was exhausted by the end of the class at about 8:15. I did not want to come back to my room at that point, and therefore, I went to the library to study and read. Melissa was nice enough to let me stay in her room last night.

I had a quiz first thing in Gastronomy this morning. I think I did well on it, but we shall see. I never know how I feel about things in Professor Raider's class. After the quiz, two groups gave their presentations, on Thomas Keller and Melissa Kelly. We are focusing now on Modern Haute Cuisine, which we will discuss more in class on Thursday. Keller and Kelly are chefs that many people recognize as being two of the top chefs today. Keller owns Per Se in New York City and his most famous restaurant, the French Laundry, in California. Maybe one day, I will be able to experience his detailed presentation and way of cooking at one of these restaurants. Melissa Kelly graduated as valedictorian of her class from the CIA and owns Primo in Maine (and two other locations). Kelly is the executive chef for her restaurant, which is in an old Victorian house. She also manages the two acres surrounding the restaurant, where she produces organic produce and raises pigs. Over sixty percent of what she uses in her restaurant comes from her farm.

Food Safety. SOOOO LONG. Professor Vergili lectured on food allergens, intolerances, Celiac's disease, physical/chemical contaminants, and industry hygiene. I enjoy this class for the most part, except for the length and the lag time, but I feel like the majority of the information is common sense. Do not come to work sick. Wash your hands with soap. Do not serve peanuts to someone with a peanut allergy. I guess this things should be reiterated, to make sure everyone here at the CIA is completely aware.

I went to Banquet around five again. My table was a lot of fun tonight. It would have been a perfect dinner if Megan (CT) had been told ahead of time that almond oil was used in the appetizer. She is allergic to nuts, and therefore, Trevor (PA) had to administer her EpiPen.
Tuesday Banquet
Special Drink: Blackberry Fizz
Appetizer: Mozzarella and Tomato Crostini with Arugula
Entree: Cornish Hen with Macaroni and Cheese Custard and Corn Salsa
Dessert: Panna Cotta with Grand Marnier and Mixed Berries

I have two quizzes tomorrow, in PK and Culinary Math. I better study. Oh, and I have to watch The Bachelorette from last night.

Love you all!

EAT MY WORDS

Haley

*Happy Birthday, Greenie! I wish I could have celebrated at the Yoguri with you today, but we will celebrate when I come back to Georgia!

No comments:

Post a Comment