Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th is already on my nerves. No, I am not superstitious for the most part, but annoyances always happen on these types of days. I guess I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, right? I should look on the bright side (get it?) and think about there only being one more week left in this block of classes.

I think I have figured out why I do not care about blogging much right now. It is this block. It is hard to write/type about what we do, specifically with BIET. Ms. Migoya packs so much into that four hour block of time that it is almost overwhelming to try and relive it for y'all with the blog. But as I mentioned above, I only have one more week; I will try and suck it up for y'all. :)

In most classes, especially in kitchen classes, each student is assigned a day to be "food steward." Yesterday was my day, and therefore, I had to get to class about half an hour early (woah, 1:30!). Each team (with there being six teams in the class) was set to perform three experiments, on acids, foaming, and yeast fermentation. I weighed the ingredients, which differed for each team, for the yeast and the egg white experiments. I weighed a little water, yeast, and sugar, and cracked three eggs for each team, separating the yolk from the white. (It is a good thing I am an expert when it comes to egg separation without those handy tools. Thank you, creme brulee, for all of the experience.)

Ms. Migoya started class with a quiz and then the yeast experiment. Each group added their yeast, sugar, water, and any other ingredients to a clean plastic bottle. After the ingredients were mixed, each team placed a balloon over the bottle opening. We then started lecture, keeping an eye on our balloon and yeast fermentation. Let's just say that there are three different types of yeast, with some being wild (used in starters) and others commercial: Fresh Compressed, Instant Dry, and Active. Each of these three have a different ratio percentage of moisture to yeast. We tasted sourdough bread, which is produced with wild yeast, and a baguette, which is produced with commercial yeast, to distinguish the differences. According to Ms. Migoya, Active is okay for the home baker but not to be used in commercial production. (Instant is the best to use in commercial bakeries.) We discussed the factors and ingredients that affect yeast: temperature, salt, sugar, water, eggs/fat. Each team brought their balloon bottles to the front with the following happening:
Team 1- control- balloon inflated
Team 2- twice as much yeast- balloon inflated more quickly, more living organisms
Team 3- twice as much sugar- balloon inflated more over time, more food
Team 4- added vinegar and baking soda- balloon slightly inflated over time, alkaline environment
Team 5- added vinegar- balloon slightly inflated over time, acidic environment
Team 6- added salt- no inflation- yeast does not like salt.

After a break, Ms. Migoya then lectured on chemical, mechanical, and physical leavening. Chemical leaveners include baking soda and baking powder, which should NEVER be substituted for the other in baking, as they react completely differently. Baking ammonia and potassium bicarbonate are sometimes used as chemical leaveners, though they are not as common. Each team performed the acid experiment, which showed how cream of tartar, baking soda, and baking powder react when combined with other ingredients, such as fruit. The class then had a tasting with three different chocolate chip cookies, one control, one with three times baking soda, and one with baking powder, to understand the taste, texture, and color change when using these ingredients.

We ended BIET with physical leavening, the egg white experiment, Each group was different, such as with the yeast, and we each used our whip to foam the egg whites. We brought our bowls to the front to discuss each team's whites: (I am on Team 4, by the way.)
Team 1- control- foamed, coagulation
Team 2- added sugar- foamed
Team 3- added salt- foamed
Team 4- added egg yolk- did not foam, addition of fat
Team 5- added vinegar- foamed
Team 6- added penny- to show how copper affects foaming

After class, Jon and I went downstairs to the Meds kitchen, as it was Italy day. I ordered the second to the last (Jon got the last) gnocchi with lamb and spinach. It was one of the best dishes I have had, especially since being back from break.

There is not too much to report from last night. There was tie-dying in Pick, one of the other residence halls, but it was crowded. I just tie-dyed before I left Athens anyway, even though you can never have too much tie-dye, I guess. I worked on my Design homework and cleaned my room a bit. It was a good night.

Today, I have Design, and then I really want to see Eat, Pray, Love with Julia Roberts. I need to find someone who wants to join me. :) Until tomorrow, friends.

BIRTHDAY CAKE

Hay Reh

*Happy Belated 22nd Birthday to my Cuzzy Buzzy, Kristy Swann. Your 22nd year has so much in store for you: hard work, a degree (please for Debbie and Gerry's sake :)), bittersweet endings and new beginnings, much success, and a year of fun in Auburn. I am so proud of you and am so thankful to have a best friend in my cousin. Love you!

*Happy Birthday, BT. I hope Kellee treats you extra special today (emphasis on the "extra"). I miss y'all.

1 comment:

  1. i miss the part where you talk about all the foods you eat....

    ReplyDelete