Sunday, August 8, 2010

Not The Momma, Not The Momma.

This is the first time this has happened. I could not think of a title for this post. O.M.G. See, I told y'all I was having a hard time getting back into the routine of blogging. What is wrong with me? I hope this does not last, or my sister might de-sister me. Read the blog and tell me if you have a good title idea.

On Thursday night, I actually finished my homework and quiz for BIET, even though I had plenty of time before 1:30 on Friday morning to do it. Go, Haley! (Mom, you should be so proud.) Jon, our group leader, collected our homework and quizzes in Farq Hall, and I just sat with him and ate my Mac and Cheese (definitely NOT how my momma makes it), while we waited for everyone to turn in their stuff. I did stop by Career Services to try and make an appointment to go over my resume/ talk about externships before class, but with the Career Fair on Tuesday, they do not have anything available until after that.

Principles of Design was not too bad on Friday. I did not have to listen to our professor talk for hours and hours and hours. I think how class was on Friday is how most days are going to be. (Side note: I received a 4/4/4/4 on my assignment from Wednesday which is EXCELLENT. Who knew I was actually decent at this design stuff? Wait, maybe I should give myself a few more projects to make that bold of a statement.) Professor Ostwald explained our first true assignment, the Radiant Image. Movement, shapes, depth, etc. He showed us where all the materials are located in the classroom, how to use certain things, and so on. He then let us begin to work to develop our design before giving us the actually cardstock-like circular paper for our final one. He gave us from about 2:30 to dinner at 5:30 to work on this. It is due tomorrow (Monday), and I will be sure and take a picture to post.

I ate dinner at the Cuisines of the Americas, where Mike (NJ), Danielle, and Melissa were in line. I ordered the Eggplant Parmesan (again, not how my momma cooks it), and I sat with them for forty-five minutes or so. (The zucchini spaghetti that accompanied my eggplant was probably my favorite thing on the plate.) Then, I headed back upstairs, up those four flights of dreaded stairs, to work a little more on my Radiant Image.

The professor then talked about our second project, which is due on Wednesday, the Total Contrast piece. By 6:30, I was done, toast, unmotivated, tired. He asked us to cut out some shapes from white paper and move them around on the black paper, to begin making sense of this contrast thing. I did not want to do it. No, I did not. I forced myself to look like I was doing something, went to the bathroom to kill some time, and then he let us go, letting us have our social life on a Friday night. One more minute in that classroom and I might have died.

On Friday night, I went with Melissa and Mike to the Poughkeepsie Mall to see Salt with Angelina Jolie. It was so so so so good. Most often, I go to movies having somewhat of an idea about what the movie is about. I knew nothing about this movie. I have seen billboards EVERYWHERE for it, but I never cared enough to look into what it is about. Suspense, action, twists. I recommend it.

Yesterday was relatively low key. I woke up at around 10. I got ready. I made a list of things I needed around the room. Then, I went to Walmart. Duct tape to label by baker's kit. Check. Clorox to clean my whites. Check. Mint Milano cookies and oreos for when I need a snack. Check. You know, I got the necessities. After Walmart, I drove across the street to Subway. I ordered jalapenos on my sandwich just to take off and eat alone. What was I thinking? I literally thought I was going to die. I was sitting there crying. I even had to go to the bathroom to splash water in my face. I almost ordered milk from the counter (milk helps with the heat more than water and other drinks). Never again.

When I came back to campus, I went to talk to Nate about externship stuff. He has mentioned to me New Orleans and Sea Island. No way. Nate, you cannot take away my externships, as both of those places are on my list. (It is a good thing that he is culinary, I guess.) I was feeling motivated after our talk, and with the Career Fair on Tuesday, I needed to work on my resume. I think I finished it (Jess, expect an email to look over it), and I must say, I look good on paper. :)

Nate, Danielle, and I went to Mole Mole in Poughkeepsie for dinner. I ordered the Taquitos Rancheros (they were not QT taquitos), which came with some amazing guacamole. After dinner, we went to Coldstone for some ice cream, of course (chocolate with rainbow sprinkles, please). We had seen a little pub on our drive from Mole to Coldstone, and we went back. Nate and Danielle ordered a drink and played some pool. I, the designated, was responsible, and by that I mean, I did not drink OR shoot pool.

We came back to campus and I worked on my Radiant Image, while Danielle and Nate watched some vampire movie from Scandinavia. My Radiant Image proved to be a royal pain (you can ask, Nate), but I finished the pencil part of the design. Today, I have to color it. After I spent a considerable amount of time on it, I decided it was time to sleep, for an extended period of time.

Now, here we are. Sunday. I would tell you what I have planned for today, besides coloring my Image, but then tomorrow's post would not be as fun. Let's be for real; the one person who REALLY looks forward to my posting every day knows what I am doing. Oh well, this is still fun for me.

SPRINKLES, SPRINKLES, SPRINKLES

Hay Reh

1 comment: