
One class down, and one more to go!!!! I just, as in thirty minutes ago, finished my BIET Final. I know I will get an A in this class, unless the world comes to an end or something.
BUT, before I can talk about today, I guess I should fill you in on the uneventful, for the most part, yesterday. (Just FYI, I ate risotto with peas and broccoli rabe for lunch before walking upstairs to class.) Professor Ostwald asked us to come to class prepared, with a theme idea for our dessert menu, which is our final project in the class. From the theme, we were supposed to also sketch four, a minimum, desserts surrounding the theme to include on our menu. My theme is the fair or carnival, whichever you choose. My menu is a ferris wheel, with bright colors and a black background, that actually spins. (I should get extra points for the fact that it SPINS, just like a ferris wheel.) My four desserts, as of right now, are caramel apple, chocolate popcorn, cookie ice cream sandwiches, and funnel cake donuts. Gosh, I am getting hungry just thinking about this.
I went to class, prepared of course. The professor gave us pictures of our clay projects (we just took a picture and then disassembled the clay, for other classes to be able to reuse the clay), and I scored an 18. See what I mean about thinking he does not like it but then being pleasantly surprised? Enjoy the picture of a picture above.
We spent the remainder of the class, after he gave a brief overview of some example projects and resources that were available to us, working on our menu. I spent the majority of my time, after I cut out the three main circles, trying to get the spokes of my wheel to match, and they still do not. Oh well, I bet you will not even be able to tell when I am all done (and if you can, do not tell me).
A few of the people in my group left around 5:30 to go to dinner. I ordered eggplant pasta from K16. Unfortunately, the students in K16 did not take the skin off of the eggplant and it was really difficult to eat. I just, for the most part, ate around the eggplant. It was slightly disappointing. The chocolate cake the pastry students wheeled in about the time I was finishing my pasta was okay, but it had a lemon surprise under the icing, which was, surprising.
I spent a good hour after dinner working on my wheel before I just could not take it anymore. Hopefully, tonight I can at least finish the front of the wheel and just have my desserts to work on tomorrow in class.
I needed to be inspired to work on my ice cream paper last night, and so, I went to Dairy Queen and had an oreo blizzard. I remember one summer, my mom and I had blizzards all the time, and they were $2.21 with tax. Well, unfortunately or fortunately, this is not the case anymore (something I just noticed last night). I worked on my paper for a little while, but I did not completely finish it until this morning around 10:45.
Jen (NY), Michelle (Military), and I met at the library around 11 to finalize our presentation. Basically, each of us had a paper topic that had something to do with frozen desserts. My focus was the machinery, equipment, and tools (Pacojet, batch freezers, blast freezers, scoops, thermometers, strainers, refractometers, etc) used in making frozen desserts. Jen had the different varieties of frozen desserts, and Michelle wrote about the history of frozen desserts. I guess I should also mention that we were required to have one source from the library for our paper. My source was a book called Frozen Desserts (go figure) and it is by Francisco Migoya, Ms. Migoya's husband. That is the problem with going to the "premier culinary college;" you cannot find a source about food that was not written by someone here. Geez. Our papers are worth 10% of our grade; our presentation was simply to inform the class of what we had learned while researching and writing our paper.
After discussing our presentation, we walked from the library to get some lunch. Grand Buffet was today, but I did not eat it for lunch or dinner. I ordered the pasta (I know, I am on a pasta kick) and it was delicious. My only complaint is that I want a little more sauce; the students are so conservative with the sauces on the pasta. I walked back to the library to study for an hour or so for the final. I knew it was a thirty-five question multiple choice exam, and therefore, I did not concern myself with studying a ton, as I knew I grasped the material.
In BIET, we started the class by evaluating the course and Ms. Migoya. I enjoyed the class and feel better prepared to work in the bake shops, and I owe Ms. Migoya for a lot of that. Therefore, I gave her an excellent eval. Then, each team, and there are six, handed in their papers and gave their presentations. She let us have a ten minute break before we played BIET Jeopardy. It was fun, and I feel like I actually learned something from playing. After finishing the game, we immediately took our final. I feel very good about it. BIET. Done.
Now, I am full from eating, you guessed it, pasta with cream sauce and mozzarella (pronounced MOOzarella here, and it drives me bonkers). I guess I should think about working on my dessert menu and finishing my comparative paper (I am comparing the chocolate pyramid dessert from the Oncology Center gala and the Louvre pyramid). One more day and I will be done with "art." Let us pray for a B+, because I am rather enjoying these good grades (as opposed to UGA when I just wanted to pass, really).
JESS, DO NOT CRY ANYMORE AND ANSWER MY CALLS/EMAILS/TEXTS :)
Hay Reh
No comments:
Post a Comment