Monday, August 16, 2010

Knives 1. Haley 0.

There is not much to report today. I went to class. I ate. I go to culinary school, so this all makes sense.

I actually slept in waaaayyyyy longer than I should have. Okay, I did not really have anything that was pressing that I should have been doing but I do feel a little guilty, sometimes, about waking up later than 10. I know, shocking. I got ready and headed to Roth around 1:30. Today was my third to the last day of Principles of Design, and I could not be more excited about finally being done with this class. I would enjoy it if my grades actually reflected the effort that I am putting forth. Professor Oswald says that it is not an art class; yet, I feel that his grading is very subjective. I scored my highest grade today, on my cupcake airbrush design, and I got a perfect score on my take-home quiz I turned in on Friday. I feel a little bit better but not much.

Today was clay day in Design. This proved to be second only to the contrast project as my least favorite thing we have done in this class so far. It is just hard to work with clay to build a dessert design on a plate. I took about an hour and a half break for dinner, and I ordered Veg Jambalaya from K16. It was really good, a little spicy with lots of squash and zucchini. I almost got a second helping with my second swipe, but I held myself back. Then, around 6:30, it was time to head back to class to finish my clay project. The drawing of what I was trying to sculpt looks nothing like how it turned out. I say that my final sculpture's theme is smores, with a graham cracker box, marshmallows, flame triangles, and sticks for wood. The professor did not seem too thrilled, but I never can tell with him. I hope for at least a 16 out of 20. I will try to take a picture of the picture he took of my clay.

I tried to Skype with Katy and Kristy tonight, but the internet here, especially at night, is terrible. It is extremely frustrating, for me and for the other people that are trying to talk to me. I apologize, and I miss you both.

Nate and I opened my baking kit, and he tried to show me how to use the steel, which looks more like a light saber to me, to sharpen my knives. I need to know how to sharpen my knives for Culinary Skills, which is the class I take in my next block that starts next week. Well, guess what? The knives are really sharp. I tried to clean a smudge (yes, a little OCD here) off of the chef knife and I totally cut myself. It is a small cut but it is ridiculous that I even cut myself in the first place. I might need a princess band-aid, just maybe.

Now, having finished my BIET homework already, I am thinking about working on my ice cream paper. Yes, be jealous. I write papers on ice cream and comparing desserts to structures in real life. Life is sweet! :)

DTR= DEFINE THE RELATIONSHIP People do not know this phrase here (or at home either I guess), and it is frustrating. Learn it. :)

Hay Reh

*Happy First Day of Fall Semester 2010, my UGA friends. Today is the first time in five years that I have not started back to school in Athens. Though I am loving life here, I am a little sad about this fact, and I think my sister is too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment