Where do I begin, really? I get so excited about the blog in general, when I think about the potential of having a day-by-day, almost, journal of my culinary school experience/ living in New York, that I live life in the shadows of the blog. Does that make sense? Things will happen, and I will think to myself about how I must include it on here. The blog is taking over my life? It is quite the opposite really. I am encouraged to try new things, take risks, check things off of my life bucket list, etc. because I need something to blog about. So, here I am, living life one cupcake, or sweet moment, at a time.
Yesterday, I got dressed and packed a few things. I stopped at Starbucks for my signature drink, iced these days because it is still so hot here. I caught the 1:45 train from Poughkeepsie and arrived at Grand Central around 3:30ish, I think. Well, I have a train pass for ten trips; it is cheaper to invest in a pass, as it makes each trip cheaper in the long run. Well, the conductor punched my pass and he looked at the address that was printed on it. He said something to the effect that I was not a tourist, living in Hyde Park. I did not have to say anything, opening my mouth being a dead giveaway that I am definitely not from around here. I just smiled and wondered what the heck he meant by that comment. You are right that I am not a tourist per se and that is why I have the pass, sir. Anyway, I giggled to myself thinking about how people view me as a New Yorker. I love being called Peaches and Georgia, but I feel like I have made it now, ya know? People ask me for directions in the City sometimes, and I can guarantee you it is not because I have the NYC avantgarde fashion look. I guess I do seem like I belong though, and to me, that is exciting. This is where I am supposed to be right now, and I am embracing the opportunity, knowing how incredibly blessed I am to have this chance. (I guess I should have prefaced the blog on the first post that I am not only corny but slightly sentimental, in general. I apologize if this post seems more perspectival than the others.)
I have had the privilege of riding the Metro North Hudson Line from Poughkeepsie to GCT/ Yankees Stadium (once) many, many times now. It takes a little under two hours to get from Poughkeepsie to GCT, but there are stops along the way, such as Garrison (WestPoint), Yonkers, etc. Well, I have noticed these glass areas at the stations, with two doors on each side. They remind me of the smoking rooms at the Atlanta airport, but there is a clear no smoking sign on both of the doors. I cannot tell you what all goes through my head on a given day, about the most random things, but I have been pondering these rooms for a while now. Light bulb went off yesterday. I finally figured out why they exist. They are heating rooms for the winter, equipped with heaters for people to stand in while they wait for their respective trains. Number one, I was so proud to discover this, and number two, IT REALLY GETS COLD ENOUGH TO HAVE HEAT ROOMS. Dear Lord...
When I made it to the City, I ventured around a bit and traveled to the Magnolia Bakery (from Sex and the City) to buy some cupcakes for Morgan (her favorite). I navigated, with only one error, on the subway to 110th, near where Fallon lives. (I get confused still with open circles and closed circles on the Subway map and the meaning of Local and Express trains.) Fallon and I decided to eat at a restaurant (with our coupon) called Zarela, a Mexican restaurant. Fallon ordered shrimp with black beans, and I had flautas with zucchini, corn, cheesy awesomeness. Seriously, I cannot really complain about anything at this place. The music was quite interesting, too, I must say. After dinner, I wanted to try PinkBerry (with the Yoguri in Athens; Yoforia in Atlanta, soon to be Athens; U Twirl in Destin; yogurt places in Tallahassee, I consider myself a yogurt connoisseur). I ordered the small original with strawberries and granola. I heart froyo.
Then, it was off to Plossers' new apartment in the City. Yay. Morgan and Kevin were wonderful hosts, and I enjoyed meeting their friends, people who know my sister. I do not think I moved except once from the couch, with food at my fingertips and Morgan continuing to fill my champagne glass. When Morgan told me that we were going out at 1am, I thought she was crazy. I am such a grandma, and I am only 23. Wowsers. I remember Morgan explaining a little bit about the bar we visited being an older NY bar, with such character and charm. I did not want to overstay my welcome in their new apartment, but, of course, Morgan, being one of the sweetest people I know, insisted I stay. Watching Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta, Gilmore Girls, and eating sausage rolls made for a perfect Sunday late morning/ early afternoon.
I left their apartment as it began to drizzle. I made it to the Subway, took the downtown 6 to GCT, and checked the schedule for the Metro North train at around 2:38. The next train left at 2:45, and I made it. I missed the rain, which began to pour as I rode the train, and I made the train. Perfect.
When I made it to Poughkeepsie, I drove to the CIA and picked up Danielle and Nate. We went to the EverReady Diner (which was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on the Food Network and is Zagat rated), and I ordered a large Coke and chocolate chip pancakes. Delicious. (I even saw Ms. Migoya, Chef Migoya, and their daughter, who literally sat in the booth next to us.) By the time we drove back to the CIA, it was pouring down rain again. As a resident on campus, I literally have to park a mile away from my hall. So, I rolled up my jeans, took off my flip flops, and walked barefoot in the torrential downpour. (Who wants wet leather rainbows?) The only casualty from the rain apparently is my phone. It may have gotten a little wet and now will not even turn on. Great.
I have since then cleaned up from being soaked. I have done my homework for tomorrow. Now, time to sleep to prepare for a new week and a new class. Block D starts tomorrows. Culinary Skills for Bakers. (My mom is super stoked about me knowing how to cook basic things, and not just baking.)
LIFE IS LIKE A BOX OF CHOCOLATES
Hay Reh
*Thank you, Morgan and Kevin, again, for making me feel like your (new) home is my home away from home.
*Congratulations, Evan, on your engagement! I wish I could be there to celebrate this exciting time. Love and miss you!
No comments:
Post a Comment