Monday, August 9, 2010

#2, Derek Jeter, #2

Last night, drum roll please, I went to the third game of the Yankees- Red Sox four game series. This is the new stadium, in its second year, home of the 2009 World Series Champions, the New York Yankees. (The construction at the bottom is where the old stadium stood and they are now building Heritage Park.) It was almost surreal being there.

I took the 3:45ish train from Poughkeepsie to a new stop on the Hudson Line, the Yankees -153rd Street stop (convenient, right?). By the time my train arrived, Fallon had made it from work in Manhattan to the Bronx. We waited in line for the doors to open at 6, and immediately after entering the stadium, we went to scope out our seats, which were amazing. (Section 118. Row 17. Seats 7-8. We were behind home plate to the right on the first base side.) After realizing we (or Fallon, really) had struck gold, we went to find food. Hot Dog for me. Sushi for Fallon. Garlic Fries to share (see below).

The Yankees won 7-2, with Derek Jeter breaking Babe Ruth's All-Time Hits Record. I can now check two things off of my Bucket List, seeing the Yankees, seeing the Yankees play the Red Sox. Now, though, I have sports fever, with the electrifying atmosphere of the game last night, and it is time for football season. Let the countdown begin.
Garlic fries are the greatest thing in the world. Large order with cheese, please. The only issue I have with the amazing food and beverage selection (a sports fan's/ culinarian's dream) at Yankees Stadium is the fact that they only sell PEPSI products. Not selling Coke products should be considered un-American, and at an "America's favorite pastime" game, it should be considered illegal. Hot dogs taste best at a baseball game (just as funnel cakes taste best at a fair), but I could not enjoy my dog to the fullest extent with a Pepsi in my commemorative cup and not COKE (the real thing, haven't you heard, Yankees?).
Yes, Fallon and I stood up and turned around for this picture. Meaning? Meaning, these were our seats. It was my first Yankees game and my first Yankees-Red Sox game; thus, I do it in style and go big. (Why not, right? I am a Rehberg girl, after all. :))

It did take me a while to get back to Poughkeepsie on the train last night. I finally went to bed around 1:30. Therefore, I slept in this morning until about 10:30, if you can call that sleeping in. :) I finished my radiant image (see below) and went to class around 1:45. Today, I had my third Principles of Design class. Professor Ostwald collected our images and then gave a brief presentation on the block print project. Then, we spent the remainder of the class drawing, carving, and printing (again, see below), with a break for dinner and a brief presentation on stenciling (our project for next class). I really enjoyed Design today. I like how my prints turned out, and I could have done a million more of them in different ways!
Well, here is my completed radiant image. It almost looks like a Kristy Swann original, right? I did color outside of the lines once, but you cannot tell from this picture. Oops.
This is my block print. I did three others, with the same block, of course. You did not know I had it in me, did you?

Now, I need to finish my BIET homework, which is due tomorrow in class. I also need to try and be creative with my contrast piece, which is due in Design on Wednesday, and I need to begin thinking about my stencil. Wowsers.

LOVE YA, MEAN IT

Hay Reh

*Thank you, Fallon, for sharing the Yankees-Red Sox experience with me, and the garlic fries!

*Yay, Jenny, for finally Skyping!

2 comments:

  1. Mom says...who knew you were such an artist!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had sooo much fun with you! Go Yankees! I must say I will be cravin' those fries until we meet again. See you soon, Hyde!

    P.S. Love your artistic side...maybe you should come help me paint my new apartment :) Or at least help me decorate it. I see a Target trip in our future!

    ReplyDelete