Monday, September 13, 2010

Southern Comfort.

Friday was Day 14, the last day of Culinary Skills. We took our final to start the day (27/30), and then from 2 to 4:20, each team completed their cooking practical. Chef Klug gave each team a piece of paper with a menu written on it. Team Four's Menu:
Sauteed Chicken
Rice Pilaf
Mashed Potatoes
Red Pepper Broccoli
Cauliflower
We scored a perfect 50 on our food. I scored an 89 in the class. That is not bad, but I was a little upset being ONE point away from an A-. So goes life...

Friday-Sunday was spent in BOSTON, MA. One of my bffs in the entire world, Katy Capers, recently moved to Boston for graduate school at Emerson College, to pursue a Master's in Health Communication. You should check out her blog, ThisFrameOfMind. One time, I had a layover at the Boston-Logan Airport, but other than that, I have never been to Massachusetts. Below are a few highlights and pictures (it was hard to narrow down to 5 from 150 pics) from my trip. I also listed some things they were reaffirmed to me or I learned this weekend.

1. If you give me anything with a battery, I will break it. When I was trying to hit the road on Friday, I walked to my car only to find that the battery was completely dead. My new bff, Mr. Poughkeepsie Mechanic Man, saved me in less than thirty minutes and I was on my way. "Ma'am, I would recommend you not turning your battery off for at least an hour." Well, it is a good thing that the drive to Boston is three hours. (Driving with no music because the car resets after being dead will make one... this one, right here... go insane.)
2. Parking in Allston, which is where Katy lives and is about 15-20 minutes from Boston on the T (Subway) Green Line, can be quite entertaining. If you park where it says no parking, with half of your car past the sign in the tow-a-way zone, then you might get a ticket but not towed. (Katy asked the tow truck guy.) Just FYI, we did not get a ticket. Yay.
3. Dunkin Donuts throws their sweet treats away at 11:45 when they close at 12. That makes perfect sense.

4. I am awesome at deflating an air mattress in my sleep.

5. Watching the Georgia Bulldogs lose to South Carolina in the wonderful city of Boston does not make the loss hurt less. (Wow, say that three times fast.) I am still proud to be a DAWG and not a Gamecock or an ACC fan.
6. I love maps. Period.
7. One of my favorite things about Boston is that there are so many schools, each being their own little piece of the city. Boston University. Boston College. Emerson College. Tufts University. Harvard. Katy, hang out at Boston U. and you know... hook me up.
8. Boston Common. Freedom Trail. Faneuil Hall. Quincy Market. Ahts Festival. Charles River. Boston is a big city, without the feel so much of a big city.
9. If you get married in Boston, the thing to do is to take pictures in the Common. We saw four different wedding parties.
10. Y'all is a contraction, spelled this way. The apostrophe goes where the letters are missing. I find I am more annoyed when Southerners misspell y'all than Northerners but still...
11. Upper Crust Pizza is delicious. Speaking of food, I feel obligated, as a Baking and Pastry student, to sample a cupcake from each cupcake shop I find. Magnolia Bakery in NYC, Georgetown Cupcake in DC, and now, Sweet (Harvard Square) in Boston.
12. You feel smarter just walking around Cambridge and Harvard. Harvard squirrels even look intellectual.
Also, when you see a yellow chair and an impromptu photo shoot ensues, you know it is a good day.
Oh, and be a tourist at least one time, and snap a picture rubbing John Harvard's toe for good luck!
13. I am torn between being a Yankees fan and a Red Sox fan. I loved Boston that much.
14. Being three hours away from such a great friend, so far away from our Georgia, is a blessing. Thank you, Katy, for an absolutely fabulous weekend. I cannot wait to get on your nerves by visiting TOO much. :) See you in NY next?!

Tomorrow. Breads. Baking, the reason why I am here.

I AM NOT A TOURIST

Hay Reh

No comments:

Post a Comment