Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"'Cause Earl had to die..."

Just FYI, I could not decide between the title I chose and "Steak and Potatoes." You tell me if I made the right choice. (The things that I think about...)

Today has been a great day. Every day for the most part is a good day here at the CIA, but today was a GREAT day. I am looking forward to so many things in the coming weeks that loving the every day here just makes life that much sweeter.

On a sour note, I fear that Hurricane Earl might possibly affect my travel plans for this weekend. As of right now, a Cat 4 Earl is supposed to graze the North Carolina coast (sweet OBX :() sometime late Thursday/ early Friday and move up the East Coast to Massachusetts by late Friday/ early Saturday. Who has ever heard of a Category 1/2/3/4 storm hitting MA? I bet if I asked people along the East Coast that question, I might be surprised, but granted, it does not happen as often as hurricanes hitting Florida and the Gulf Coast. If you remember the last time I flew home, I did not have the greatest experience, and I just hope I make it safely home to GA on Saturday and am able to fly back to NY on Monday.

Also, random, before we start talking about my day, I have been meaning to mention that I see Chef Lynne Gigliotti from the current season (Season 7) of Top Chef every day. She teaches Garde Manger at night in the kitchen literally across the hall from my kitchen for Culinary Skills. I always see her walking the halls or in and out of the kitchen. Unfortunately, she was told to "pack her knives and go" and was eliminated from the competition, but it still is cool seeing her around. Speaking of Top Chef, Top Chef: Just Desserts premieres on Bravo on Wednesday, September 15. I do not know how I feel about me personally competing in culinary competitions in the future, but it is exciting to know there is a Top Chef now for me. I love the original but I cannot wait for the pastry version!

Let's begin with knife skills (surprise, surprise). We needed tomatoes today for one of our dishes, and therefore, Chef Klug showed us how to cut tomato concasses. Basically, you take the plum tomato, cut out the core, cut an "x" on the other end, blanch, peel, remove the seeds, and cut into chunks. Did you get all of that? For our knife tray, we were required to do the four cuts (brunoise, julienne, batonnet, and small dice) for the potato, slice half an onion, mince half an onion, chop garlic, chop parsley, and cut two tomatoes. I was so excited about my potato cuts. I do not think I will ever be able to cut that perfect ever again. Of course, when I showed the chef my tray, he got out the ruler and measured my batonnets. They were off by 1/6 of an inch. Therefore, I received a 9, instead of a 9.5. I know, I know, my goal was a 9, but now that I have been so close to the 9.5, virtually the highest Chef Klug gives in the class, I am determined now more than ever to get that 9.5 or 10!

Each day we have been given a dinner break between 6 and 6:45 to go to any of the kitchens (such as Asia, Americas, Meds, K19) to eat. Today, that changed. We were still given a break to eat but we ate our own food that we prepared. I am not going to lie; I think tonight's meal was the best I have had at the CIA. I put my sweat and tears (not really) into this meal, and it was really, really good!

Chef Klug, started by giving us a demo on how to make the tomato and mushroom risotto, the red pepper broccoli, and how to grill a strip steak. Our main objective today was to learn how to grill, and the other dishes gave the chef a good idea of how much we have learned thus far in the course. In addition to grilling the steak, making the risotto, and the red pepper broccoli, each team also had to prepare the potatoes we made the other day and a vegetable of our choice. We could either make the green beans with mushrooms and onions, the beets with glaze, or the cauliflower with egg garnish. Team 4 chose the green beans. We split each job. Pete made the risotto. Jon grilled and make the broccoli. Emily was in charge of the green beans. I mashed those potatoes. We were given the entirety of the class after knife skills and the demo, for the most part, to prepare our meal, and we were to be finished for evaluation by the chef at ten minutes until 6. The only critique the chef gave us was that our broccoli was almost overcooked but that it was still serveable. I literally then got to eat my classwork. Gosh, I love this school.

After dinner, it was time to clean, of course. With the job of being an extra, I had to clean the grill pans with a brush and wipe them with paper towels and oil (cheap oil). I helped the sanitation team take the trash out and clean the trash cans after I finished with the grills. Once the cleaning was done, Chef Klug called us over to his desk individually for our midterm evaluation. I am doing fairly well, and I think I may have one of the highest averages in the class. Positive feedback is what I need to confirm that I have what it takes to be here. It can get overwhelming and scary, being at a culinary school, where you are constantly competing with those around you, who have a passion for food just like you do.

I practiced my cuts with two potatoes tonight. Nate thinks that I am the only baker who practices my knife skills. I am daring to "overachieve" here, when really it is me wanting to succeed at the highest level. He criticizes my cuts more than the chef does. I think he wants a little bit of credit for me doing so well. Well, here you go, Nate. (It does help to have friends in Culinary who are ahead of you by three weeks, when you are taking Culinary Skills for Bakers, aka the basics!)

I skyped with mom. I finished my homework. Now off to bed!

As a random disclaimer, by the way, I have no style now. I wear my chef whites all the time. When I do laundry, I wash aprons and chef coats and houndstooth pants and side towels and neckerchiefs. The only normal clothes I wear are my pajamas. So, when I come home, do not judge me if I no longer know how to dress myself. Oh, and Downy Wrinkle Release is my new favorite thing, when you have to look professional and perfectly pressed every day. Ironing is so 1954.

LIFE IS GOOD? NO, LIFE IS SAHWEET.

Hay Reh

*Welcome to the North, Katy Capers! See you in a week and a half!

*Yay for this being my 50th post!

1 comment:

  1. Mom says...1954! Do not think that I did not notice. Just remember the wonderful thing that happened that year!!

    ReplyDelete