Thursday, October 7, 2010

French, Swiss, Italian?!

I like French Bread and Swiss Cheese and Italian food in general. I never knew, however, that French, Swiss, and Italian are the three different types of meringue, as well. The topic for yesterday, and today too, was foaming. We made several different products using the foaming method and two of the three different types of meringue.

French meringue:
*Egg whites whipped to "bad cappuchino foam" stage, gradually adding the sugar.
*Egg and sugar whipped until the desired stage is reached, soft, medium, or stiff peaks.
*The hardest of the three types to make.
*Used with products that are usually baked, as the meringue is not heated when made.

Swiss meringue:
*Egg whites and sugar heated in a double boiler until the mixture reaches 140* and the sugar liquefies.
*Egg and sugar mixture whipped until desired consistency.
*Used as a topping, as the product is heated and safe to consume.

Italian meringue:
*Sugar syrup, or simple syrup, formed, by dissolving sugar in water, and heated to 240*, or soft ball stage.
*Syrup added to the egg whites gradually to temper the egg and whipped to desired stage.
*The strongest of the three.

Yesterday, we reviewed the Creaming method by making Butter Spritz Cookies. Also, I piped for the first time in culinary school with this product. We piped the cookie dough using the 826 fluted tip (for you piping people) to make rosettes. Then, with water on our fingertips, we created a "crater" in the center of the cookie. One person on the team piped raspberry jam and the other apricot. Here are my Butter Spritz Raspberry Cookies. I have eaten all but two, and you see how many I had at one point in time. (They remind me of Sam's Club cookies I used to buy at Walmart, minus the two layers with creme in the middle. And, they are waaaaaay better.)
Today, our group practiced making meringue alone and our rosettes. Chef asked each person in class to make a Swiss meringue with 8 ounces whites and 12 ounces of sugar. I need to work on my piping a bit.
I have never made a homemade Angel Food Cake before. My mom (sorry to call you out, mom) usually just buys those little angel food cakes in the package. Angel Food Cake is light and airy, made my folding flour into a classic French meringue. An Angel Food Cake pan resembles a pound cake pan but is taller. Chef said our Angel Food Cake was appropriate, with the proper color and "holey" crumb structure.
With Ladyfingers, egg yolks and sugar are whipped together. Egg whites and sugar are whipped and folded into the yolk mixture. Flour is then folded to create a slightly thick, pipeable batter. We used a large round tip to pipe three inch Ladyfingers. In honor of Halloween, Chef Haymon allowed us to add red-colored almonds to three of our fingers. Now, they really look like Ladyfingers. Chef's only comment for me was that I need to make sure I do not make them too long.
As far as life outside the bakery, the weather is changing here in New York. For the most part, the temperature fluctuates throughout the day between the 50s and 60s. Apparently, it is cold and dry enough for my face to peel, which is awesome (not), and I do not think working with flour all day helps this situation.

My roommate is working in the kitchen right outside the dining hall this block, which serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner at specific times during the day. Because she is serving breakfast, she goes to class around 1:30am. It is interesting to live with someone who literally has the opposite schedule as you. I am going to bed when she is getting ready, and I am leaving for class when she is just getting back. We are respectful of each other, and it works for us.

I am headed back to Georgia this weekend for the last time for a while, I think. I have been living here knowing the next time I was headed home. After this weekend, I have no plane tickets booked or specific trips down South planned. It is a little sad and a little exciting. Sad because I miss GA and exciting because I can finally enjoy living here (and not be exhausted from traveling every other weekend).

12 O'CLOCK, 6 O'CLOCK, GIVE A QUARTER TURN (the proper way to fold)

Hay Reh

No comments:

Post a Comment