Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Biscuits and Scones.

Today in Baking Techniques, we learned about the Cut-in or Rubbed Dough method. Basically, this is the simpler version of creating layers in dough, called lamination, which is the process used to make products such as puff pastry. The butter used in the Cut-in method is COLD. Folding with this hard, pliable butter creates a flaky product, such as with biscuits, scones, and pies.

As teams, we were able to chose our garnish for our biscuits and scones. Stephanie and I decided to make cheese biscuits with herbs de provence. After our egg wash, we added a little cheese on the top for looks.
For our scones, we added chocolate chips and toasted coconut to the dough. After egg washing our scones, we added sanding sugar to the top for shine, crunch, and a little added sweetness. During evaluation at the end of the day, Chef Haymon commented on the uniform shape of and amount of layers in our scones. Good job, Stephanie.
Each team made a double batch of 3,2,1 (ratio of flour to fat to liquid) pie dough today. Each person rolled four pie crusts each. Tomorrow, we will make three pies each (and take one home I guess?!). Teams 5 and 6 (Steph and I are 6) made the cherry pie filling today for tomorrow. Other teams made pecan, pumpkin, blueberry, and apple. Yummy.

Dinner (I keep forgetting): Swordfish with Pineapple Salsa that some of my friends made. :)

THREE FOLD, FOUR FOLD?

Hay Reh

No comments:

Post a Comment