Literally the DAY after I last blogged, I was stopped on the way to work for my FIRST drawbridge. I was anxious about this happening (see last post), and it happened (weird). That is the ROAD in the air there, as in the road I drive on, over WATER. I survived, though, clearly.Wednesday, March 2, 2011
I worked in the afternoon, while the Pastry department prepared the dessert showcased at the Food and Wine Festival in Charleston. A freshman in high school from Columbia, named Katie, whose grandparents live on the Island, shadowed in Pastry for the week, and she helped me with a lot of my tasks for the week, working 9-3.
*White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies.
*Chocolate Chip Cookies.
*Brown Butter Cakes.
*Scones.
*Baked Cookies, and Cookies, and Cookies.
*Cookie platters for Banquets.
*Pureed Banana Butter for the Ocean Room.
*Cheesecake Batter.
*Ganache for Festival.
*Caramel for Festival.
March Tasting Menu at Jasmine Porch: Sweet Potato Pie with Sugared Pecans, Orange Double Cream (Orange Chantilly in this photo), and a dehydrated, Grand Marnier-dipped Orange.Thursday, March 3, 2011
The Sanctuary Hotel Pastry Team had a table at the Charleston Food and Wine Festival. Temperance, Robyn, and Erin went to the Show and served a chocolate, popcorn, pretzel dessert. Apparently, the dessert was well-received and they had a good time. Because the three of them were away, I was "on-call" for the Pastry department. I did a few tasks, while being in the kitchen in case Jasmine needed something or there was an issue with Banquets.
*Cookie plates for Banquet orders.
*Chocolate and Almond Macaroons.
*Chocolate Mousse.
*Pastry Cream.
*Food to Jasmine.
*Sweet Potato Cake Batter for the Ocean Room.
*Cut Croissants for Bread Pudding.
Katie made platters for a Banquet event with these pastries and mini raspberry cheesecakes. (Abbie, head of Banquets, asked for a quick platter for some meeting planners later, and I plated these.)I worked in Jasmine Porch for service, but I did a few things before I went to the restaurant.
*Baked Scones.
*Thickened Chocolate Sauce.
Saturday, March 5, 2011
Again, I worked service at JP.
*Mixed Berry Fruit Sauce for Lemon Cake Dessert.
*Ganache.
*Scones.
I made Chef Nick in JP a Lemon Cake Dessert with all the components, because he had never seen or tried the dessert. He had some help sampling from the servers, and one commented it was the best cake they had ever had. (Good job, Temp!)
And Greg in JP made me dinner, complete with roasted tomatoes, sauteed spinach, shrimp, and pasta. Mmmm.
Lemon Ricotta Cake (with Lemon Curd Filling and Buttercream), Mixed Berry Sauce, Lemon Lace Tuile, and Mixed Berry Sorbet.Sunday, March 6, 2011
I worked 8-4ish, helped a little in Banquets, and helped prep. for Jasmine with Temp.
*Raspberry and Apricot Almond Bars.
*Corn Muffins.
*Prep. for JP.
*Cut Cookies in Half and Baked 60 of four different kinds.
Monday, March 7, 2011
*Trayed and Filled Baskets with Rolls and Foccacia.
*Cut Almond Bars (and got a pretty awesome blister from doing so).
*Toasted Macadamia Nuts, Almonds, Coconut, and Walnuts.
*Filled Bowls for a "Make Your Own Trail Mix" Banquet Station with yogurt raisins, raisins, craisins, dried apricots, dried cherries, chocolate pretzels, coconut, walnuts, almonds, mac. nuts, etc.
*10# Buttercream.
*Pecan Tuile.
*Macadamia Nut Baskets.
*Proofed and Baked Slider Buns, twice (oops).
*I wrote SDD or SPP on my write-it-down-to-blog-about-it-later list but I have no clue what it means now. So, I did this or that too! :)
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Happy Mardi Gras. I was off for Mardi Gras and did not do much during the day. That night, my roommate, Trevor, Trevor's roommates, and our friend from the CIA, Antonio (who came to Charleston from his extern in Orlando to visit) had a few beers and king cake. It was a fun night and to hang out with more than two people was a treat, too! (FYI, one of my favorite things about baking and pastry is being able to celebrate any and every occasion with sweet treats: Valentine's, Easter, Christmas, Birthdays, Mardi Gras, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, St. Patty's Day, you get the point...)
When you can't be in New Orleans celebrating Mardi Gras or in Brazil celebrating Carnival, you try and celebrate the best you can.Wednesday, March 9, 2011
I didn't do much on my second day off, except sleep in really late, from what I considered to be a late night the night before. Tyler (Trevor's roommate from WI), Antonio, Trevor, and I drove downtown to the Kickin' Chicken for dinner. It was relatively low key, even though it did start raining about midway through our meal. Rain does wonders for my hair... :)
Thursday, March 10, 2011
*Pate a Choux, eclairs and profiteroles.
*Prep. for Jasmine Porch.
*Cheese Blintzes.
My sister was awarded Teacher of the Year for Apalachee High School (Go Panthers!) in Winder, Georgia!!! Third time being nominated must be the charm (but that's an honor in itself, to be nominated). She is one step closer to being as cool as/ cooler than me! Congrats, Jess. I am very proud of you (and I think you're cool)!
Friday, March 11, 2011
*Dehydrated, Grand Marnier-dipped Orange Slices.
*Scones.
*Pecan Tuile.
*Orange Double Cream. Double Cream is the weirdest dairy product ever. It comes in these little glass jars, is super difficult to get out of this jar because it is so thick, is expensive, and it tastes almost like straight butter. Chef Ryley liked it so...
*Lemon Lace Tuile. Temperance let me play around with a few designs. I ended up with an abstract wave pattern, just what I had envisioned. It works, and Temperance agreed to it for the Lemon Cake dessert.
Saturday, March 12, 2011
Temperance was off last night, and I worked at Jasmine Porch. I came in around 2pm to do some prep. for the restaurant, which included:
*Scones.
*Dipped Pretzels.
*Pecan Pies.
*Lime Chantilly.
*Pecan Tuile.
Robyn helped:
*Chocolate Chip Cookies.
*Caramel Creme Brulee.
*Lemon Cake.
Erin made some delicious Bourbon Ice Cream for the Ocean Room. I was there when she tried to burn the kitchen down, aka burn off some of the alcohol on the stove. She let me try about a cup of ice cream, and it was delish. I am pretty sure that this ice cream was the reason I almost fell asleep at Jasmine around 8, not from the alcohol but the components of it made me sleepy. Worth it, and slightly funny...
JD in JP :) made me salmon, rice, and broccoli for dinner. He claims he only cooked the salmon with butter and lemon juice, but it was unbelievable. Salmon is my favorite, and salmon done right... mmmm.
Sunday, March 13, 2011
OFF
Erin, Robert, and I were supposed to get tacos and margaritas yesterday. This is my public apology, because the time change through me WWAAAYYY off.
Monday, March 14, 2011
OFF
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 (Beware the Ides of March!)
OFF
Katie Weiser is coming for a few days of her Spring Break TODAY. We plan on exploring Charleston. Finally, I have a FRIEND to go on SC adventures with me! And, my mom, sister, Gamma, and Greens are coming this weekend! Don't be left out of coming to visit Charleston and SEEING ME!
I thought I would end the post with some random tidbits for ya:
*In less than a year now, on March 2, 2012 (I think), I will graduate from the CIA. Craziness, I tell ya.
*Growing up I had a serious fear of elevators (who can attest to this?!). I'm glad I grew out of this elevator-fear stage, because I am fairly certain I would not be working at the Sanctuary at the moment, if I was still plagued. (I mean I have to take two elevator rides just to get from the Pastry Kitchen to Jasmine Porch!)
*I love Army Wives. Once again, judge me, if you want. Part of me, because of this show, thought there was an Army base, Fort Marshall, actually in Charleston. Well, there isn't, but the show IS filmed here in Charleston. Charleston Bucket List #8217349081... find Army Wives.
I MISS LIVING IN ATHENS, TOO, JESS!
Hay Reh
*Keep Japan and all those affected by the earthquake/ tsunami in your prayers!
*Yay, UGA, made it to the Big Dance. GO DAWGS!
*Happy Belated Birthday, Whitney and Britney Boland.
*Congrats, Jon Alligood and family on the engagement. I cannot believe all those FND and Football Saturdays didn't win you over and now I've lost my shot. :) But seriously, Katie is a lucky girl! All the best!



No comments:
Post a Comment