Sunday, November 28, 2010

75th Post in Honor of the 84th.

This is my 75th blog post, and I do not have much to report except that I attended the 84th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City on Thursday. I had an excellent spot, and the company (Fallon, Nate, Kanye West, Gladys Knight, Jessica Simpson, Santa) was unbeatable. Below are some highlights of the parade. (I had to narrow down my over 100 pictures to just a few. So, when I say highlights, I mean a few snapshots from the day. These photos are not in any sort of order, but ENJOY!)

I just have to start out by saying that "I'm sorry, Kanye, but Joan Rivers had a better float than you." Okay, bad joke!? You get the point. Here's Mr. West himself, and Joan Rivers below. (Wowsers, look at that face!!)

I was a little excited when this was the first thing we saw of the parade, the University of Southern Mississippi Marching Band. (My grandmother and mom attended Southern Miss.) I screamed, "yay, y'all" to them as they "joined the parade."
This is where we stood for the parade, after running a mile through Central Park and losing Nate for a good twenty minutes. The parade begins at 77th and Central Park West. We saw the very beginning of the parade, heard the announcer read a blurb about what was coming next, and watched them "join the parade," as the announcer said.
Cute little Smurfy, Smurf, Smurf. Smurfs are usually three apples tall, but this one was a few more apples tall than that!
This is not the best picture of the Pillsbury Doughboy, but this was my favorite balloon. (Y'all should not be surprised... it's the baker in me?!)
Oh, hey, Spidey. This was Nate's favorite balloon. I like how the strings make him look like he is actually "webbing" and saving the world.
Oh, hey, Buzz Lightyear, from the Toy Story series. This was Fallon's favorite balloon.
This is for the K Swanns, Kellee, Kristy, and Karen. It's Dora, blowing y'all a kiss!
I wanted to take a picture of the parade drums. I did not even notice, until I put the pictures on my computer, the AU Drumline guy. This drummer is a member of the Macy's All Star Parade, with members from all 50 states. Hmm. Auburn representative?
This is Virginia, from "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!" I took this in honor of my mother, whose real name is Virginia (sorry to tell the world, Mom, your given name you hate), but I think about my Mizzom every time Virginia is mentioned, referring to the name, of course.
And the man of the hour (or three hours), SANTA. Seeing him (and Mrs. Claus) IN the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade made me think of my favorite holiday movie, Miracle on 34th Street. Santa, my hero. Come visit me in Thomasville. (I've been practically perfect AGAIN this year.) Your annual note, cookies, and carrots for the reindeer will be waiting as usual. :)
I believe, Macy's, I believe. Thank you for a wonderful parade and a check on my bucket list to experience this parade in person one day!
After the parade, Nate, Fallon, and I went to Whole Foods to shop for our Thanksgiving feast. Remind me to NEVER go food shopping with Nate every again. :) We snacked on cranberry cheese and hard apple cider, while Nate fixed the turkey, mac n cheese, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and arugula and radicchio salad. I contributed by re-heating my chocolate pecan pie. :) We ate while watching football. It was glorious. And then, we watched The Santa Clause (get the "clause" versus "claus?") to end the night. Best. Day. Ever.

On Friday, Nate and I slept in at Fallon's apartment, while she worked. We shopped a bit, and then joined Fallon to watch the Iron Bowl (blah). Nate wanted to go to Barnes and Noble before heading back to Hyde Park; there was a line to enter the store on Fifth, however, because Justin Bieber was there signing his book. Seriously? He is like 12 and has a BOOK? And people want him to sign it, meaning people are buying this book and READING it?!

Yesterday involved watching football and ordering in, Chinese for lunch and Pizza for dinner. Ha. I also did a little Christmas shopping online.

Today, I have done five loads of laundry, cleaned my room, and I am about to buy my plane ticket for January. I think I have been productive. What are your thoughts on my productiveness level? :)

ALL THE WORLD LOVES A PARADE... AND A BLOG ABOUT A PARADE

Haley

*Happy 29th Birthday to my favorite uncle, my Ger. I know that win on Friday was the best gift you received this birthday. :) And don't you worry, I am keeping my hands in my pockets and my mouth closed here in NY. See you in a few weeks. Love!

*Praying for Wyatt and Abby Mitchell.

2 comments:

  1. So when describing my Thanksgiving experience, the list would be...

    1. Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
    2. Cheese tasting at Whole Foods
    3. Personal chef cooks fabulous meal
    4. Lovely pastry chef makes me like pecan pie
    5. Watched football
    6. THE SANTA CLAUSE

    Pretty sure it doesn't get any better than that! Thanks to both Hizzy and Nate for being my "family" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate doesn't remember watching the Santa clause.

    ReplyDelete