This is my last week of Cookies, Tarts, and Mignardises. On Monday, we continued with tarts. Tuesday and Wednesday (today) were devoted to our testing practicals, cookies and then tarts. Tomorrow and Friday, we will focus on bite-sized savory items. Also, on Friday, Chef Temme will administer our final. Can you believe I am almost done with another block... two more blocks to go before my first year (out of two) at the CIA is over and I am off to extern.
Monday, November 29 (Day 10)
*Key Lime Tart
Chef Temme assigned Teams 1 and 2 this tart. I need to work on my meringue piping, which should make the tart look more appealing than above.I have now made it in the baking and pastry world. I CAN PIPE WORDS!!!
Tuesday, November 30 (Day 11)Cookie Practical Day
*Chocolate Macaroons
*Chocolate Shortbread
For our practical, every one in the class randomly chose two cookies that we made over this block. There were ten different possible combinations to randomly draw from the pile. I was okay with my pick, except that macaroons are very temperamental (and annoying). I scored a 93 and 94 on my cookies, respectively. Happy Dance, Haley!Wednesday, December 1 (Day 12) Can you believe it is already DECEMBER?
Tart Practical
*Lemon Meringue Tart
*Alsation Apple Tart
Every one, all nineteen of us, made the same two tarts; we had no choice. The Lemon Meringue was easy. (I was a little unhappy with my meringue, but it is serveable and better than my key lime tart above, right?!) The Alsation Apple is a pain in the rear, however. You have to peel, core, and slice the apples, and then you have to spend a good amount of time making it look as pretty as it does above. :) I will not even mention the fact that the dough is puff pastry and all that that entails to make, which we made on Monday. I guess the only reward for the Apple is that it tastes scrumptious and looks great!SNOW IN THE FORECAST? WOOF!
Hay Reh
Mom says...what beautiful and delicious desserts. Those grades look pretty awesome too. Can't wait to taste all you have learned!! LUTM
ReplyDelete