Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ha(l)ley's Comet.

Another blog milestone: The time between this post and the last is the longest I have gone without blogging. I apologize, sincerely, from the bottom of my heart to each and every one of you. :)

If you know my blogging style, you know that I do not like to leave out any details. Well, if I wrote about everything that has happened since Baking Techniques, the result would be a book that I could publish just about the last week or so of my life. I will spare you all and give you a brief overview.

Last Tuesday, I started Pastry Techniques with Chef Dieter Schorner, who is 72 years old and speaks with a HEAVY German accent. I would not even know where to start with his background or experience, as it is extensive. Chef Schorner used to be the Pastry Chef at Tavern on the Green, if they tells you anything. Chef is a character:
*On the first day, Chef asked me if I was named after the comet. Well, of course, you know me, the girl who actually took two years of German in college, could not understand a word he said. When someone finally filled me in on what he had said, I responded, "it is spelled different, of course, Chef."
*He told us this story about singing "I Can't Get No Satisfaction..." at karaoke one time. I would pay money to see that.
*Cupcakes to him are just fancy muffins.
*He soaked raisins in rum for our bread pudding. I was sitting in front and he opened the lid for me to smell them. My response was to put out my hands to taste some. (Chefs WANT you to taste things. I thought this was a grand opportunity to do so.) He smiled and gave me a handful. Love him.

Tuesday, October 26 (Day 1)
*Classic Puff Pastry
*Pastry Cream
**Piping happens every day!

Wednesday, October 27 (Day 2)
*Pate a Choux for Eclairs (filled with pastry cream from Day 1)
*Marzipan Roses (see below for my best one)
*Palmiers (made from puff dough from Day 1)
Thursday, October 28 (Day 3)
*Creme Brulee (see below for before sugar torching and after)
*Panna Cotta (which is made with gelatin and therefore NOT baked)
*Bread Pudding
*Genoise (like we made every other day in our previous class, but my team scored the highest grade in the class of 95 so why am I complaining?!)
I like it the above way better. Nate claims I do not like creme brulee then ("creme brulee" means "burnt cream"). I like to argue that.
Friday, October 29 (Day 4)
*Vanilla Sauce (for ice cream)
*Applestrip (made from puff dough from Day 1)

Monday, November 1 (Day 5)
*Chiffon Sponge
*Buttercream (yum)
* Crumb coat of Buttercream on Genoise (from Day 4)
**Below is my best piping for me to date (sorry I should have rotated it).
Tuesday, November 2 (Day 6)
*Linzerdough
*1,2,3 dough
*Five different types of ice cream (vanilla, chocolate, coffee, peanut butter, rocky road)
*Finished our Genoise cake (see below for mine, complete with piping and marizpan roses. Chef looked at mine and said, "you make cakes before." "No, Chef.")
My dad comes tomorrow. Craziness. He will be here from tomorrow until next Monday. I will TRY to blog with him here. No promises.

MY SCHOOL IS BETTER THAN YOUR SCHOOL (UNLESS YOU GO/WENT TO UGA)

Hay Reh

*Happy Late "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" Day. I am sad my Georgia Bulldogs lost to the Florida Gators (I HATE the Gators), but still, I wish I had been at that game! Happy Belated Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. I'm most impressed with your piping and rose! Even more so because I have tried a little piping and it was a disaster! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete