Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Last Supper.

It is HOT in the Hudson Valley these days, and I cannot stand it! I even checked the temperature for Athens and Thomasville today at 89* and 91* respectively; it was 103* here today. It sucks. People think I should be used to this weather, but I do not think I am used to the heat mixed with the straight humidity off the Hudson River. A few weeks ago, when it was cool here and unpredictable, I was looking forward to the consistent Georgia weather, where you know it will be hot every day no matter, but I am looking forward to Georgia weather now for a little bit of a temperature/sweat break.

Gastronomy began today with a review of the five qualities of Classic Haute Cuisine: skilled eater, elaborate, skilled cook, aesthetic experience, and rare foods. Expectations have changed from Classic Haute to Modern Haute. An elaborate fine dining establishment is expected, hopefully, and the skilled eater is virtually out these days. In Modern, there is either a skilled cook or rare foods, sometimes both. Our topic in class today was food systems, something Professor Raider could spend an entire undergraduate career teaching us, according to her. We started our lecture with a pop quiz (ten true/false) about the videos I watched last night. (I love it when I actually do what I am supposed to do and am rewarded five free points for it.) Seed banks. GMOs (genetically modified organisms). Hybrids and heirlooms. This is what we covered today. Did you know that GMOs are in virtually all processed foods we buy and consume? The most common GMO is corn. We ended class with a group activity, listing the pros and cons of GMOs. If you would like to know more, let me know.

In Food Safety, we began class with a ten point HACCP quiz. I missed one. Rats. We went over the answers, and then Professor Vergili lectured on sanitizing and pest control in the food industry. Time, once again, dragged until our ten minute break. We returned from our break and were separated in groups, where we were assigned a specific page of the study guide to answer and present to the class. This assignment was worth five percent of our course grade, and of course, my group rocked it. Vergili gave us two practice ServSafe exams to take home to prepare for our NRA certification test on Thursday, which is worth fifty percent of our entire grade. Wowsers. (My mom scored a 95 recently. I am not worried about it. Love you, BF!)

I asked Trevor if he would drive me to the Verizon store, as my phone thought it would be cool to randomly delete my text messaging icon, making it impossible for me to send texts or receive texts (even though my phone beeps when I receive one). It is highly annoying and frustrating, seeing as I just replaced the battery on the stupid thing. Iphone, hurry to Verizon before I die. Mr. Verizon guy did not help me at all. He told me to connect my phone to my computer to update it. Thank you for you help, buddy. I am sure that fix the problem if connecting my phone was even possible with my cord in Georgia in a box somewhere.

When we arrived back to campus, I immediately just walked to the East Wing Dining Room. Today was my last banquet, technically. With graduation this Friday, Grand Buffet is tomorrow and the Banquets class does not serve. It will technically be my first Grand Buffet, which happens every three weeks, because JCon was visiting three weeks ago. Apparently, it is amazing, with endless amounts of food and desserts in Farq Hall. I am excited about experiencing it for the first time, but I think I will miss Banquets when I come back in August. (It was required as a part of my Product Knowledge grade in B Block, in case you forgot. I can come whenever I want though in other blocks; it is just not something I have to enjoy every night.)
Appetizer: Assorted Pastas including Fettuccine Puttanesca and Penne with Ricotta and Spinach
Entree: Pork Belly and Honey Glazed Salmon with Leek Pilaf and Green Beans
Dessert: Risotto Rice Pudding with Strawberries

I am exhausted, from the heat I think. I relaxed for a bit by watching The Bachelorette. The best part of the show was the Jake and Vienna breakup interview. For the record, I believe Jake. I knew Vienna was a bad seed from the beginning. As for Ali, I am still on Team Chris/Roberto/Frank. (Yes, I realize there are only four guys left and I just named three.)

Now, it is time to study for Product Knowledge. Fun times. Peace out!

EAT MY WORDS

Hay Reh

2 comments:

  1. mom says. . .Go ahead...top my 95%...make my day!!! Just remember, mom was in school a very long time ago and still can pass an exam with an 'A'. Feel any pressure? :)lutm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on that same team! I like all 3 of them. Though I'm now on pins and needles about what Frank and her have to "talk" about.

    Miss you! Can't wait til you get back here!

    ReplyDelete