Monday, July 12, 2010

I wish I had a boat.

**The date and time of this post are not correct. Today's date is July 15!

I have only been back in the South since Friday night/Saturday morning around midnight but it has been a whirlwind ever since I got in a taxi at the CIA. I left Angell at about 8:00 and headed to the Poughkeepsie train station. My train left at 8:47 and arrived at Grand Central a little after 10:00. I bought a Starbucks, a ticket for the New York Airport Shuttle, and boarded the LGA bus. The shuttle left for LGA, with Delta being its last terminal stop, and I arrived at the airport around 11:00. I went through security and headed to my gate. From here, the waiting game begins and my worst nightmare.

My flight was scheduled to leave at 2:00. Boarding should have started at 1:30. Keep in mind too that, because I had never traveled from the CIA to a New York airport for a flight at a specific time, I arrived at the airport waaaay early (better early than late and missing my plane, right?). Apparently, the airspace around NY is congested (Really? Surprise, surprise, NYC is one of the largest cities in the world!). Our plane was coming from ATL and had to divert to Baltimore to refuel, as it could not land in a sufficient period of time in NY. Initially, our flight was pushed from 2:00 to 4:00. Apparently, there were problems with air traffic control, the Baltimore airport, and LGA to get the plane coming from ATL to NYC in a reasonable time frame. Our flight kept getting pushed back, because our plane had not landed. Our plane finally arrived at 5:30, and we boarded around 6. We sat on the runway for a good thirty minutes, with planes ahead of us waiting to take off. We were rerouted a different way to ATL to avoid bad weather, and a flight that was supposed to take 1:29 minutes actually took about 2-2:15. As we began to descend into the ATL area, a thunderstorm formed above the airport. We were in a holding pattern (aka flying around just for fun) for ten to fifteen minutes waiting for the thunderstorm to move or discipate. It was not moving and air traffic control recommended us staying in a holding pattern for thirty more minutes. We did not have enough fuel to wait thirty minutes, for the thunderstorm not to move, risk another holding pattern, and not be able to land safely. Therefore, we flew twenty-nine minutes to Augusta to refuel. We were in AUG for over an hour and then had to fly back to ATL. When we landed in ATL and were taxiing to the gate, the Captain came on to tell us that, bad dream or not, another plane was at our gate. ARE YOU SERIOUS?! We waited for about fifteen minutes and finally de-boarded the plane. I met Katy and Katie outside baggage claim around midnight. WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE EVER! I AM NEVER FLYING HOME AGAIN. Okay, that is not true, but I could have made it back to GA from NY in less time if I had driven (not a great statistic, Delta). I used all means of transportation to come home except a boat, and part of me wishes I had come home on a boat, a cruise ship perhaps.

Katy and Katie waited and waited and waited for me to land in Atlanta. I was texting them the whole day trying to update them on what was going on: 4:00, then 4:30, then 6:00, then Augusta, then occupied gate. I want to thank them for being my best friends in the entire world, for not complaining, and taking care of me even when I was not a happy camper. We had this perfect plan to get dinner, and hang out, and reminisce. Well, all we really got was a very tired me (and them from working their big girl jobs), a spicy chicken sandwich from Chickfila waiting for me in the car, and an hour drive to Winder.

I stayed at my sister's house on Friday night (really I just slept a few hours on Saturday morning). My alarm sounded way too early for my liking, but I got ready and packed up my CAR! (Man, I missed my car and driving.) Then, I drove from Winder to Nashville. I met Mary Catherine (who will be a senior at Vanderbilt in the Fall which CANNOT be possible) at her precious little house. She of course gave me the grand tour, before we went to eat lunch at this fabulous little taco place. We drove all the way to Opry Mills to find it closed, of course, from the flood. (Sidenote: Nashville was my destination the first time I ever flew in my life, and my family came to visit Opryland at Christmas time. It was strange to remember that trip when I was little, the pictures I had seen from the flood, and to see Opryland on a beautiful summer day, knowing it was closed for a significant period of time for repair.) MC gave me a short tour of downtown Nashville, including an overview tour of Vandy, the XO house, and her Peabody campus. MCA, I am so glad I was finally able to see you in Nashville, and thank you for a wonderful afternoon.

I enjoy driving to amazing cities where I have not spent an extended period of time to visit friends or to see friends get married. My friend, Brittany, has lived in Nashville for about a year; she moved from being a yearlong intern at SharpTop to Nashville to work for a wonderful organization, Friend's Life (look it up!). We chatted a bit before Allan, another STC intern friend, met us at Brittany's house from Knoxville. Allan and I got ready for the wedding and headed to the church, with minutes to spare. I have never been to a wedding of this size before. Alice looked radiant. "Eat, drink, and be married." That basically was Alice and Eddie's wedding, and I loved every second of it. When we were leaving, I asked Alice where they were going on their honeymoon, and she did not know. I love that, the fact that Eddie surprised her with where they were going to spend their first week of married life. Alice and Eddie are a special couple, meant for each other, and I am excited to see what the future holds for the two of them, together.

The next morning, Allan, Brittany, and I met Kelli and Rick (Yay, STC) at Fido for breakfast. I ordered, in the spirit of the blog I feel I must tell you, a garlicky hummus bagel with tomatoes, cucumbers (yuck), and onions. Though Brittany and I ordered the same thing, our plates looked slightly different. I am not complaining though because I think we thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast. Brittany, Allan, and I drove back to B's house, with Brittany telling us some fun Nashville facts as we passed several places. We said our goodbyes and Allan and I hopped in our cars. (Allan had a game, aka the World Cup Final, to get back to watch. :)) Thanks, Brittany and Allan.

Here I was, back in the car, driving again. Destination=STC. I made it to Jasper around 3:30 or in the middle of the Welcome. They finally let me come up the driveway, after a bit of confusion. It was so great to hang for a few hours and see Teena, the Sieverts, the Nichols, Dan? :), etc. I have spent the past two summers of my life at this property, and I definitely did not think it would be as emotional (in a good way) as it was to visit in the summer. Maybe, one day, I will work in the kitchen at a Young Life property. Now, that would be living the dream!

I have been at home now for a bit. It is great to be back and have absolutely nothing to do. It is so fun being lazy that it is almost impossible for me to even motivate myself to update this blog. Jess and I had fun waking up late, eating with the parents, and being unproductive. (Ask my mom. It is what we do best.) Jess has since left me here to be lonely by myself. Wait, who are we kidding? I do wish she was here but I am not having a terrible time sitting on the couch with the cat alone watching the tele reading People. My mom and I have baked and watched movies. Tomorrow, my mom, grandmother, and I are going to Destin for a few days. I need to get my tan on. Wait, again, who are we kidding? I do not tan, and I work in pants and a coat. (I have come to accept that pail is how the Lord made me, and I am okay with that.) I am sure we will eat expensive seafood (thanks, BP), read trashy novels on the beach, and shop. Jess will join us on Monday, hopefully.

I need to buy plane tickets for the Fall. I need to finish updating my resume. I need to start making an extern list. I need to pack some things for the drive to New York in a few weeks. It is my summer vacation, though, and therefore, these things can wait.

And, to shake things a little bit for my Uncle Gerry, THIS IS HOW THE COOKIE CRUMBLES!

Hay Reh

*Congratulations, Alice and Eddie Sally! I love you both very much, and I am so thankful that I was able to be there for your special day! To answer your question, by the way, Alice, the cake was delicious!

*Happy Birthday, Brittany, and Happy Belated Birthday, Teena. I so enjoyed seeing both of y'all this weekend! I cannot wait to see y'all again in September! :)

*Congratulations, Chaz, on getting accepted to medical school! Dr. Chaz has a nice ring to it!

1 comment:

  1. thanks haley! next time you come you'll have to stay for more than 18 hours. :)

    ReplyDelete