Monday, June 13, 2011

It's not goodbye but see ya later...

Dear Kiawah,

My whole mindset when I left New York to come South was to simply complete my extern to the best of my ability, to learn as much as I could, to work more than I thought was physically and emotionally possible, to meet some new people, and to just finish the credits for school. I could only see the destination, the end result, fulfilling the externship requirement, moving back to New York, and finishing school. Never did I think about the journey; I could never have imagined what that journey would come to mean.

From February 2, 2011, to June 11, 2o11, I worked at one of the greatest places on earth. Kiawah is beautiful. It's location on the Atlantic relative to historic Charleston is unmatched. It's reputation is comparable to none. How lucky was I to spend four and a half months here?! Walking away from this place is heartbreaking, but I know that there will come a day that I will be able to come back, to work or to visit.

To my Kiawah family, to my friends, my team, my colleagues, you, each and everyone, made my experience the greatest of my culinary career thus far, to which I will match every other. You embraced me with open arms. We laughed, we cried, we joked, we stressed, we worked, and we shared life. I leave you, Island, as a better chef, hands down, but more as a better person. To you, I am truly grateful.

Robyn- Thanks for making fun of me (and the blog) and making me rotate the ice cream.
Temperance- Thanks for sharing my love of Army Wives and Pretty Little Liars (and not being mad at me for posting this for all the world to see). And, thanks for being the best supervisor ever!
Robert- Thanks for filling the bakeshop with music. I'll never forget our adventures outside of work. I will beat you one day at monopoly.
Christine- Thanks for being my replacement and being too sweet to make fun of. "WAHHHH."
Erin- Thanks for increasing my tolerance and forcing me to be confrontational. I will get my cooler back, Boo Bear. And, you better re-read your card to know how truly thankful I am to you. Blue Moon for me... and Sweetwater for you?!
Chef- Thanks for always having something interesting to chat about and giving me your take on the news.

Heather- Even though you side with the Gators, I still love you. Drinks after work to dancing at Wild Wings, thanks for the fun times!
Erin #2- I wish we had met in Hyde Park. We would have been best friends, before now!
Jay- Thanks for always being a friendly face as I started my shift and left for Jasmine.
Trevor- Thanks for becoming my little brother/ fake boyfriend over extern and for forcing me to drink and be merry with y'all, almost every night, whether I wanted to hang or not. And, thanks for all the laughs in JP.
Dan- Thanks for loving the OR, for never leaving me alone with Trevor while drinking, and for letting me play with Basil.
Kate- Thanks for helping to balance the girl to guy ratio in Jasmine. Our nights working together were some of my favorite days at the Sanctuary.
Franke- Go Dawgs?!
JD- If I could pick a favorite, you would be in the running. :)
Rob King- Yes, I cleaned the back sink. Thanks for always giving me food.
Amber- Thanks for always being there for me to chat, to avoid work, and for being my fellow Georgian.
Rachel- You were always super helpful. Thanks for helping me by scooping ice cream.
Maria- Thanks for always asking about my day and stealing my treats!

The list could continue. I am leaving so many people out, but I think you understand that so many people made my time at Kiawah what it is and was. Goodbye, Kiawah, for now. I will see you soon. Until then, continue to offer unforgettable experiences to every one who bikes, swims, walks on to the Island, and drives through that gate. I will miss you.
When my mom and I first drove to Kiawah before I started work, I took a picture of this sign, at the entrance to the Hotel.
And, I took this picture on my last day of work, as I was leaving the Island.

I will not remember the beginning or the end but the in between.

SOUTH CAROLINA IS HOME TO PEACHES, TOO.

Sincerely,

Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment