This weekend and last weekend are two of the biggest weekends at the Sanctuary and Resort, Easter and Gourmet and Grapes, a benefit for the Medical University of South Carolina. Therefore, I only had one day off last week and one off this week. So, I have not had time to blog, okay? :) I hope these two posts make up for the time. It's busy and with visitors coming to Charleston, graduations, weddings, etc., my life is going to get even crazier over the next six plus weeks. I love it, and I hope you enjoy reading about it.
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
*Key Lime Pie.
*Lemon Lace Tuile.
*Pecan Tuile.
*Spun Salted Vanilla Ice Cream.
*Cut Croissants and Pralines for Bread Pudding.
*Baked Milk and Honey QuickBread.
Our new CIA extern is here. Her name is Christine, and she is pretty cool. :) I mean, all my fears have been confirmed with her fitting right in, being awesome in the kitchen, and already replacing me at Kiawah. Okay, okay, I kid for the most part, but seriously, though, she is great. I hope she likes working at Kiawah as much as I do, and I can't wait to hang with her when we go back to school!
We also have/had a new Sous Chef in Jasmine. He left as quickly as he came. The end. And the search begins, again!
Thursday, April 14, 2011
*Trained Christine in Jasmine.
*Sorbet Tuile.
*Tuile Batter.
Worked Service.
Friday, April 15, 2011
(Happy Tax Day and Happy Birthday, Dan!)
*Trained Christine.
*Mac. Baskets.
*Rolled Truffles in Chocolate.
Worked Service.
I mentioned in the last post that some of my friends from high school traveled to Charleston to celebrate Evan's Bachelorette Party. I've known Evan, and some of these girls, since we were four and five years old. Evan and I attended the same school from pre-Kindergarten until we graduated from high school (that's 14 years, folks). She went off to Auburn University after graduation, while I, of course, headed to Athens to the University of Georgia. She moved back to Thomasville after graduation, while I haven't lived in the same place for more than six months since graduation. I wish we saw each other more but one day, when I move back South for good. She is beautiful and amazing and GETTING MARRIED?!!? Thanks for including me, girls. I can't wait to see you in white in a few weeks, Evan!
I met them at Social, a wine bar, on East Bay Street in Charleston after work, and from there, we walked to Trio, a dance club on Calhoun, near their hotel, the Francis Marion. We had a few cocktails and danced and chatted and took pictures and just had a night on the town. It was so fun.
Catherine, Haley, Evan, and Sarah Frances... Brookwood buddies and Thomasville friends from waaaaaaay back.Saturday, April 16, 2011
*Helped Christine, a little, but for the most part, she was on her own.
*Chocolate Cakes (finished and baked).
*Lemon Lace Tuile.
*Pecan Tuile.
*Mac. Baskets.
*Scooped Takeaway Cakes.
*Cut Croissants.
*Field Trip to OR to deliver Steam Cakes and Berries.
Apparently, Pepsi is a sponsor for the PGA Golf Championship. Kiawah cannot serve Coca-Cola at a Pepsi-sponsored event, and therefore, in preparation for the PGA 2012, Kiawah is switching from Coke to Pepsi. WORST DAY EVER. It begins with switching the machines. Now, instead of UGA Bulldawg Red, the machines are Pepsi Blue (and I'm blue too). We still serve, and I still drink, Coke when I'm in Jasmine, and hopefully I won't have to give up my cola preference in taste before I leave. Man, it's a sad day.
Sunday, April 17, 2011
*Milk and Honey Base x 3 (baked 190).
*20 Key Lime Pies, including making graham cracker crust.
*Chocolate Chip Cookies.
*Lemon Ricotta Cakes.
*Mac. Baskets.
*Caramel Creme Brulee.
Monday, April 18, 2011
OFF, my only day off with it being Easter week.
Trevor, my culinary friend from the CIA, from PA, who is externing at Jasmine Porch, who lives like five feet away from me, turned the big 2-1 (I am officially a grandma!) about a week ago. Trevor, Dan (also from the CIA, externing in Ocean Room), Astrid (a GA friend from Johnson and Wales), and I all had the day off, which never happens, and we went to Folly for a day at the beach. Our day included Trevor losing Dan's frisbee, and he was a tad bit upset, Dan that is. We, more Dan and Astrid, buried Trevor in the sand, because your 21st birthday isn't complete without a little sand in the mouth to go with that alcohol. And after the beach, we went to Zia, my new favorite spot (thanks, Ern), where I enjoyed a Chicken Yucatan ENCHILADA Christmas-style, with both red and green sauces and a Baja Fish taco. They was delish, and I think everyone enjoyed this new gem of a restaurant.
Folly Beach Pier. Is it bad that I think how this could be damaged in a hurricane? I've lived through too many hurricane seasons, I guess.
What better way to celebrate your 21st birthday than to be buried in the sand? Happy Birthday, Trevor!Tuesday, April 19, 2011
*Key Lime Pies.
*Milk and Honey Base x 3 (baked 200).
*12 Lemon Lace Tuile.
*20 Pecan Tuile.
*24 Mac. Baskets.
*Dipped Pretzels.
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
(Happy Birthday, Jon!)
I worked in Banquets to prepare for Easter from 10-7ish.
*Cake Pops.
*Cheesecakes.
*Made and Piped Vienna Cookies.
*Coconut Macaroons.
*Christine worked service at Jasmine but I took a trip to bring her Bread Puddings and a Special-Order Cake.
The Health Inspector came to visit. How fun.
Thursday, April 21, 2011
*Milk and Honey Bread.
*Grilled Pound Cake.
In JP:
*Cut Cake and Strawberries.
*Dipped Oreos in Pastel Chocolate for Easter.
*Unmolded Key Lime Pies.
This is our April/ May Tasting Dessert that we started this week: Strawberry Soup with a Meringue Island and Cut Strawberries, Grilled Pound Cake, Lemon Basil Ice Cream, and Micro-greens. (Get it? It's a play off a grilled cheese and soup!)Friday, April 22, 2011
*Pecan Pies.
*Milk and Honey Base x 3.
*Lemon Tuile.
*Proofed and Baked Slider Buns.
In JP:
*Unmolded Pecan Pies and Key Lime Pies.
*Dipped Pretzels.
I've worked in Jasmine for a number of months now, and just recently, people have started ordering "creme brulee to go." I kind of take this personally when I receive an order for one. Creme brulee is made with egg yolks and can't be unmolded from this dish. I mean, hello?!!? I made it work, though I wasn't happy about it.
Saturday, April 23, 2011
*Lemon Lace Tuile.
*Pecan Tuile.
*Mac. Baskets.
In JP:
*Cut Cake.
*Unmolded Key Lime Pies.
*Cut Pound Cake.
*Wrapped Creme Brulee.
Sunday, April 24, 2011
HOPPY EASTER!
**See Beach Bunny Part II Post. I decided to split up this post, because a day by day post mixed with Easter, our biggest weekend at the Resort, plus 25 pictures would have been blog overload. So, now, double the fun.
Monday, April 25, 2011
OFF.
I woke up at a decent hour, for my day off, in my opinion, before noon. I got beach ready and Alexa, my roommate and I, headed to Zia (same place I've mentioned a lot recently, that we ate for Trevor's birthday dinner) to meet Erin, Erin (a recent CIA graduate and new addition to the Ocean Room) and Heather. We had margaritas and ate lunch before hitting the beach at Folly.
It was a beautiful day for the most part, until it starting raining, then becoming sunny, looking like it was going to pour, then breaking into sun. Finally, we packed it up and headed back to the car. It was snack time at this point. So, we walked to this little place called Tokyo Crepes (I didn't know crepes were Japanese?!) and all ordered a treat, ice cream or a crepe. Erin had a crepe with literally everything sweet under the sun (ha!), called the Dynamite I think?! Alexa had an apple crepe with cereal and other sweet treats. I just had a strawberries and nutella crepe. Why mess with what works, ya know?!
Alexa had no problem eating hers but Erin on the other hand... (she may kill me for posting this pic?!)
And, I think I missed a spot putting on sunscreen?! What do you think? (Sorry, mom! I'll do better next time. At least I put some screener on?!)Tuesday, April 26, 2011
(Happy Birthday, Papa!)
*Grilled Pound Cake.
In JP:
*Unmolded Key Lime Pies.
*Dipped Pretzels.
*Cut Croissants.
*Piped Chocolate Plates, which I really do like every other day.
A party of about 15 had the option of bread pudding or key lime pie for dessert. At the time the order came in, I was working at the short table (bread pudding table), which means I stand right in front of the hot box, not a great place for me, when servers need to access more bread. That table is clearly the size of like.. well, it's small. So, as people were finishing their Easter prep, I kindly moved them out of the way to set up for the Key Lime Pies on my regular table. Mise en place and being at home on my regular table does actually make a difference in how I function at Jasmine. "Runner, please." COULD SOMEONE COME GET THESE DESSERTS?
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
*Pecan Pies.
*Milk and Honey Base x 3 (Baked 175).
*Baked Creme Brulee.
*Lemon Tuile.
*Chocolate Chip Cookies.
In JP:
*Cut Cake.
*Cut Meat for Sausage. Ew.
*Pulled Thyme from Stems.
I was so proud of this batch of Pecan Pies that I had to take a picture. Aren't they beautiful? And, I didn't have trouble getting them out of their tart shell.Thursday, April 28, 2011
*Unmolded Bread Pudding
*Cut and Grilled Pound Cake.
*Scooped Takeaway Cakes
Worked Service.
Friday, April 29, 2011
*Lime Chantilly
*Unmolded Key Lime Pie.
*Blackberry Sauce.
*Slider Buns.
In JP:
*Dipped Pretzels.
*Brulee-d Bananas (yum).
Today was long and tiring. We had a party for about 30, and as a part of their meal, they were offered three different dessert options. Basically, this means that they all ordered dessert. Just as I wanted to start prepping their desserts, I got a rush of orders (doesn't that always happen?). The boys/ servers did offer to help. Then, my torch ran out of gas, literally. This was a problem with creme brulee being one of the three options, but we made it work. Erin brought me the torch from the pastry kitchen. And, I must apologize to her for my stressed out/ I-can't-function-when-my-station-looks-like-a-bomb-went-off-because-we-just-sent-out-desserts-for-30 mood. Thanks for your help, boo bear. Do you still want me to come to the OR? Ha. :) The icing on the cake (ha x 2)? I then received a ticket for four desserts that I wasn't supposed to make?! How was I supposed to know that when the ticket doesn't say "no make?" Congratulations, servers/ Jasmine people, for your dessert sampler. To repay me, can you actually come get the desserts when I call "runner" before the ice cream melts?! :)
Off to work at 4 today, again. I can make it to Wednesday, my next day off, when Dad and Shirley come, right? It's like I'm the little engine that could or Nemo. Just keep swimming, Haley, which is funny, because I'm a beach bunny. (Too much?)
WORK, WORK, WORK.
Hay Reh
*Happy Belated 18th Birthday to Baby Karen, who will always be the baby, the youngest, the baby Karen Barrett, but she may not look so baby anymore. We are so proud of the woman you have become, and we can't wait to see how the Lord grows you in the future. Now, go buy a lottery ticket, because cigs are not an option! :)
*Praying for Tuscaloosa, Alabama, my third favorite SEC town, and all those affected by the recent storms in the Southern states. Roll Tide.
*After watching the Royal Wedding and spending a good hour researching monarchies, I've decided I want to marry a prince. End of story or "happily ever after," if you will. :)




No comments:
Post a Comment