If you know me at all, you know I am an emotional and sentimental person by nature. Add my ever-changing
self image of finding the balance between a beautiful, growing bump to
tipping the scales at the heaviest I've ever been (and finding clothes
to wear while also having never dealt with body issues before in my
life, except for those boy cut days :)) and the raging pregnancy
hormones racing though my body, and you can only imagine by emotional
state.
For
the first time in a over a month, this weekend equals me FINALLY being
able to be a couch potato, to prop my feet up, and to have "me time,"
while realizing these may be some of the last quiet moments I will
experience for years, if not decades. This, mixed with my heightened
emotional state, means that I can write and you can read with amazement
that I still know how to access my blog site.
As
a little girl, most dream of the day they will wear a white dress,
carry pretty flowers, kiss their prince, and dance the night away. I
even dressed up as a bride multiple Halloweens in a row as a child (yes,
even with that boy haircut). Even more so instilled in little girls as
children is their innate nature to be a mother. The first toy most
often given to a girl is a doll, right? The wedding is one day in a
lifetime. While a wedding day signifies a marriage, an eternal promise
and vow, bringing two together as one, motherhood brings a new life into
the world. While similar in that they are both life-changing, one,
unfortunately, can end or change while being a parent is permanent. My
mother spends an exorbitant amount of time worrying about me and my
sister, about things that Jess and I assure her are minute and will work
themselves out. If I could count the number of times (mostly through
tears) that my mom has told me "you will understand one day when you are
a mother," then I would be a rich woman.
For
me, I was the baby of the family. I remember my cousin, Karen, being
born but she was the only baby I was really ever around. I did not
babysit much in high school or college. So you can imagine the sheer
terror I feel about becoming a mother. The excitement, of course,
outweighs my fear and I know my instincts will kick in. But, I'm not
alone.
I
never really thought about my children's father growing up. Maybe most
girls do, but I didn't. I focused more on the baby. Rocking her (my
dolls were always girls), changing her, feeding her (with those fake
bottles with the white liquid inside that moved), brushing her hair, and
playing dress up. What I know I lack becoming a parent is more than
made up for in the man that is making me a mother. And for that, I am
beyond grateful and blessed. Isn't it amazing how life works out that
way? Where I fall short, he will be there to lead the way (and when he
can't help, there's Boo ;)).
Father's
Day Weekend 2014 was my wedding weekend. I can honestly say that I
love Brady more this Father's Day than I did this time last year, even
though it was "the best day ever." I will NEVER forget the smile on his
face, as I shed a few tears, when the ultrasound tech confirmed it was a
boy. And, more so than that moment, I know my love for him the moment
he felt our son move for the first time will only be surpassed the
moment I see him hold Barrett for the first time.
I
am beyond humbled to be related to the fathers in my life. My dad has
supported me at every turn, wanting me to live this life genuinely
happy. He's instilled in me a love for the Georgia Bulldogs, the
Rolling Stones, fast (foreign) cars, and seeing the beauty in everyday
life, even being partially blind for most of his. My Papa taught me
(even if I was only given a couple of years with him) the value of
hard work and the importance of education. His love for my Gamma was
unmatched. Granddaddy was a proud man, who knew that this life wasn't
about money but about what you made it, your legacy. My Uncle Gerry
treats me like a fourth daughter, imparting wisdom and guidance when
needed. To Uncle Randy I owe my love of food science and following in
his steps with my degree from UGA. My father-in-law is a man in a
league of his own, who knows when to crack a joke (and let me tell you,
he's a funny guy) and when to be serious, focused, and lead his family.
The past year of being his daughter-in-law has reaffirmed my decision
to marry his son, hoping that with each day Brady will become more and
more the man his father raised, and will raise our son in the same
path. Grandpa Steve (though a Notre Dame fan :P) texts me and calls my
son "little pup;" those things should explain how great he is! Grandpa
Denny is always there to answer our "how to fix it" questions and is
such a selfless man! My son has some incredible men to live up to!
Happy
Father's Day (to be) to the father of my child(ren). I can't wait to
continue this journey with you. The days you discipline our son will
make me cry. The days you teach him manners will make me proud. The
days you come inside dirty from playing in the creek (crEEk not crIck,
and yes, I'll teach Barrett the correct way to say it) will make me
cringe (and maybe cry, too). The days you teach him how to play sports
will make me smile (and worry). The days you teach him how to love his
mama will melt my heart. And, the days you father him the best way you
know how will be the best days of my life. I love you!
Haley
P.S. Brady received a Tonka Classic Dump Truck this morning and a gift card to a local burger place. When baby boy is born, I fear I will not only be outnumbered 2-1 in the house but I may be the only adult, leaving the hospital with two kids with the birth of one. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment