Sunday, December 23, 2012

"I'll be Home for Christmas..."

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas season this year.  For the first time in my own apartment, I (and that Brady boy, too :)) bought and decorated a real tree.  I took some inspiration from Pinterest and made some homemade ornaments that were super successful (glass painted ones and cinnamon cookie cutter ornaments, too, which smell heavenly).  With this being the first Christmas with a "big girl" job "in the real world" and not a faithful customer at the Bank of Mom and Dad, I actually purchased and wrapped presents for Brady and our families (instead of, ya know, charging it to mom and putting my name on it).  I put out all my cupcake Christmas decor and pastry-related Santas that Mom has been helping me collect after Christmas over the past few years.  I made a Christmas card wall over my arch in my apartment and almost felt like a kid on Christmas morning every time I received a card in the mail, to display.  Brady and I even sent our own corny but awesome (right?) Christmas card this year.  I've fully taken advantage of my professional baking job to try out some holiday recipes.  Peppermint brownies.  Eggnog cookies.  Red velvet madelines.  Christmas sugar cookies.  I walk in to work at the pastry kitchen to the smells of gingerbread most days, and I love it.


 One of our Christmas card photos, November 2012.

Another Christmas card pic, November 2012.

Christmas card decor, December 2012.

Our Christmas Tree the day we decorated it, November 2012.

Our Christmas Tree today, December 23, 2012. (Look at all those presents!)

What is the true meaning of Christmas, anyway?  Is it gingerbread smells and presents and fraser firs?  For me, it has remained the same yet looked slightly different over the years.  For five Christmas seasons, I lived in Athens.  For the past two, I was in New York.  But each year, for the past twenty-five years, I have awakened to Santa on December 25th at 205 Friar Tuck Lane in,  Thomasville, Georgia.  I've left a note for Santa, along with milk, cookies, and celery for the 'deer on the same brick fireplace, next to the bear stockings, that mom never seems to hang in the right position (Jessica's stocking is the with the one dressed in a Santa suit.  Duh!).  I remember, as if it were yesterday, walking into the "great room" and seeing my Ariel (from The Little Mermaid, of course) bike for the first time, behind the couch.  Toys and games were slowly replaced with tvs, clothes, and gift cards.  Recently, mom received her own stocking, with her own bear.  Christmas, that's just how it has always been.


Brady and I in Central Park, December 2011.

Except, not this year.  This year, I will wake up to my beautiful tree in my apartment and open gifts with my husband-to-be, before I race off to work.  I cannot even begin to tell you how thankful I am that Brady will be here.  I think I would be so sad and emotional, if I happened to be alone.  So, it's our first engaged Christmas and our first Christmas together, together.

So, I ask, again, what is the true meaning of Christmas?  It's always remained the same and will continue, no matter the traditions and memories I create.  It's Jesus's Birthday, of course.  But, it is so much more than that.  It's family and food and tissue paper and Flowers lights and little Tynlee giggles.  It's my Gamma, who has battled and survived and continues to truly live life, sitting in her spot, over the years, watching her granddaughters grow into beautiful young women, into mothers, with families of their own.  Christmas is 70* weather, in sweaters just because it's Christmas.  It's separating the gifts and making sure everyone has the same number to open.  It's a tree covered in UGA ornaments and red and black.  It's ceramic nativities and red bows.  It's pure joy.



Tynlee's First Christmas, December 2011.

As I sit here, bawling as I write this, I can't help but realize how incredibly blessed I am.  The day after Christmas, I will head home.  I am truly grateful that I have three days off following Christmas, something I really didn't think would happen.  And though I am sad that Brady cannot venture to Georgia with me, I am glad we have the actual day together.  I will spend "Christmas Eve" (two days late) with the Barrett Family.  It means more than anything that they are going to wait to celebrate with me, as we have always been together on Christmas Eve.  Jess and I will leave Santa a note and goodies on the night of the 26th and hopefully wake up to a few new "toys" from the North Pole.  (P.S. Santa already told us he would be a couple days late.  Apparently, he is taking a vacation and extending his one night gig.)  I will open presents with my dad on the 27th.  It'll look different, but the meaning remains the same.  Christmas is a celebration.  To me, it's about family and friends (and food, which is why I am "missing" the actual day to begin with :)).  Christmas is a day and that's it.  You can celebrate and should celebrate our Savior any day and every day.  Christmas is just a day.



Our note to Santa ("Sizzy"), December 2008.

I have been spending a lot of time this holiday season listening to Christmas music on Pandora.  When I am in the kitchen by myself at work, it keeps me in the spirit instead of driving myself crazy in silence.  Of course, I've heard all the favorites on repeat it seems like, "Frosty" and "Baby, It's Cold Outside," "Jingle Bell Rock" and "O, Holy Night."  One song, however, seems to play at least once every time I turn on Christmas music, and I've never really listened to the words as intently as I have this year.  I challenge you to listen to it, again, and really listen.  Count your blessings, and realize, too, that Christmas is just a day.  "I'll be home for Christmas.  You can count on me.  Please have snow and mistletoe.  Presents on the tree.... I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams..."  I'm dreaming this year of being home, and not working, but alas, I will be home, just two days late, and for me, that's more than enough.


This year is the start of new traditions and memories, with Brady.  And, I know that I won't be spending every Christmas Day in Georgia, as I have family (unofficially, for now :)) in South Dakota, too.  I must say, however, that this year, I've learned a hard lesson but a great one that Christmas is just a day.  So, for many years to come, I'll be home for Christmas in Georgia with my family and South Dakota with Brady's family, just maybe not on the actual day.  "It's the most wonderful time of the year," this year and for many years to come!

I wish everyone a very, Merry Christmas and a blessed 2013!  2012 was a great year, and I can only hope that this next year will be even better.  Enjoy your time with family, and count your blessings, remembering that all are not as fortunate.  Oh, and add a little extra rum to your egg nog.

"2012," New Year's in South Dakota, January 2012

I love y'all!


"...IF ONLY IN MY DREAMS!"


 Hay Reh

No comments:

Post a Comment