Thursday, August 18, 2011

Swimming in New Jersey

I am going to turn over a new leaf. I am going to try to blog at least every week. This way, I do not have to back blog weeks and even months past. Posts will be shorter. My family will be happier. I will be, well, tired and less tired all at the same time. Thoughts? This sounds like a good idea, but we shall see how long it lasts.

I cannot believe that today is Thursday. This week has gone by crazy fast, and I am not sure how I feel about it. Before I know it, Monday will roll around, and it'll be back to the kitchen for me. Only eight more classes to go. Can you believe it?

I guess I should start by telling you about last weekend. My Friday night and Saturday were very low-key. I went to Target on Friday night, and Saturday I cleaned like Cinderella, minus the helpful mice and birds. I changed my sheets, did laundry, vacuumed my rug, and Melissa cleaned the bathroom. I must admit that, whether it is my slight OCD-ness or not, living in a clean space makes Haley a much happier person. I just feel better, ya know? Melissa did make me venture out for an hour or so to meet with a few people, who knew me as Georgia. Hm.

On Sunday, I woke up super early to head to the City, Jersey City, New Jersey, that is (by way of that other City). 8:40 train from Poughkeepsie to Grand Central. S Subway to Times Square. N, Q, R Subway to 34th Street/ Herald Square. Journal Square PATH Train at 33rd Street to Grove Street, NJ.

As most of you know, my dear friend, Erin Cross, left her job at The Ocean Room at Kiawah
Island to move back North (she's a Jersey girl at heart) to work in New York City. She drove to Jersey on Friday and moved her Jeep's worth of stuff in to her apartment on Saturday. (Her furniture arrived yesterday for all those concerned.) Therefore, I went to see her and her new place. I am about-to-pee-in-my-pants, beyond excited, pumped, ecstatic for her to live in the same region of the country as me again. New York City does not even know what is about to hit them, when Erin takes it and Lincoln Restaurant at Lincoln Center by storm.

People claim that people in the South cannot drive when the weather is anything but sunny. We can't handle snow (duh!). We can't handle rain. Well, I argue that people in NYC don't know how to function in the rain either. It started raining on the train from Poughkeepsie to GCT and continued for the majority of my time in Jersey. (It didn't rain on Monday until I was riding from GCT to Poughkeepsie, go figure.) Everything slows down when it rains, and it's annoying. Of course, it didn't help me that I was carrying a rather heavy bag and Erin's birthday bin full of goodies. (I mastered holding the umbrella, while balancing her gift, which was rather large. See last picture below.)

Erin said she wanted me to get to Jersey City, her new town, by noon, and I think I arrived around then, despite the R word (rain). We met at Starbucks where we got a pick me up and some lunch. We walked to her apartment, where I met her mom, we ate, and we continued cleaning/ unpacking her stuff, etc.

I did not take any pictures, really, from the weekend of anything EXCEPT Erin's cat, Bowser. I love Bowser. Most people think he is mean because he bites. I don't think he is mean at all, just misunderstood. We are clearly buddies. Here are some pictures. :)
Bowser's new favorite spot, until at least the furniture arrives, the stairs.
Erin lives in a loft. It's only a dozen or so feet from the loft down to the lower level floor. Heart attack? "Hey, look at me. I can see you. The fastest way for me to get to you is to jump..."
I bought Bowser a housewarming gift, a laser toy. He seems to like it.
See, he can't be mean; he's adorable.

After Murphy oiling her floor, we walked to her friends, Joanne and Tim's, apartment to drink a beer before dinner and to play with Riggs, their adorable kitten. We swam the whole way from Erin's apartment to their apartment. Okay, not really. The rain was steady, and Erin almost slid out of her unreliable flip-flops a few times, but we finally made it. (And, Erin told Joanne and Tim about my blog and that she only reads it because it mentions her. Maybe Joanne and Tim will start reading now that they have graced the blog?! :))

A beer and an Asian wrap for me later at the Iron Monkey, it was time to head back into the rain to Joanne and Tim's apartment. Just about the time we dried off after watching some DIY television, Erin and I decided to go back to her apartment. The rain was really coming down at this point. (Word on the street is that Long Island recorded ten inches of rain just on Sunday. I believe it.) Rain. Swirling in all directions. Wind. An umbrella was useless at this point in time. I was soaked from head to toe, literally. Jeans were heavy because I was walking through water. My sandals were gross. My shirt, well, here's a visual... if I had been wearing a white t-shirt, I... you get the picture. We finally just got a cab. (I still owe you for that ride, Ern.)
This picture does not do the situation justice. This was taken right before we got a taxi. It doesn't help that my fish face makes me look possessed. Just try to look past that...

On Monday, Erin had to go to Lincoln to sign some paperwork, and I stayed at her apartment to wait for Larry the Cable Guy (ha?). Okay, so his name wasn't Larry, but the Comcast guy did come while she was gone to setup her cable and internet. After Erin came back and we ate some leftover Chinese, it was back to Hyde Park for me. Peak Train. More rain. Less bags though. And back in Poughkeepsie around 7-7:30.

I did stop for a snack at a fast food restaurant that I refuse to name because I am a CIA student. :) I ordered a Happy Meal and look what I received as my toy. I named him Chmurfie.
Lobdell, it's you! Except, you are less blue. :)

It's Finals Week for me this week. I have taken two finals, and I am now done with two classes, Management and Nutrition. Tomorrow, I have two finals, in Costing and Menu Development. Wish me luck. Two more classes and L Block will be history. Yay. I can't wait.

In Management on Tuesday, our topic was teamwork. Professor Ligouri separated us into teams and gave us spaghetti, tape, string, and a marshmallow. As a team building exercise, we had to build a tall structure, with the marshmallow on top. The team with the tallest structure would win a prize. It was all about communicating, working together, etc. My team almost won but lost by a few inches. Here is our structure, and yes, it is harder than it looks.

Oh, and it should be noted that my mom sent me an email today that I owed her. For what you ask? Well, apparently, I was summoned for Jury Duty in September. I AM NOT OLD ENOUGH FOR CIVIL DUTIES SUCH AS THIS. Right? Oh boy. Well, I guess I am not too old for my mother to handle such things for me. No jury duty or jail time for me. Thanks, mom, for helping your baby girl out and getting me out of this!

PATH STANDS FOR PORT AUTHORITY TRANS-HUDSON, JUST FYI.

Hay Reh

And, p.s. it is pouring here as I type this. I really wish it would stop raining. I am fairly certain that I do not live in Seattle.

*Congratulations, Jonathan and Katie Alligood, on tying the knot on Friday, August 12th. I've been told by the 204 crew that it was a magical ceremony, Christ-centered and full of love and hope for the future. And a pharmacy cookie cake, Jon? I love it! I wish more than anything that I could have been a part of your special day, but I promise to make it up to y'all soon. How about I come to Georgia-Florida and we beat those Gators?! Sounds like a perfect plan! I wish y'all all the best.

*Happy Belated Birthday, Cuzzy, Kristy Swann. I hope this new year in Charleston is the best ever! I heart you!

*Well Wishes to Wade Floyd and his new bride on exchanging vows on the 13th. I hope to visit Colorado soon!

*Happy Belated Birthday, BT, father-to-be. I hope you had a fun weekend with Kristy, Kellee, and that cute bean, Tynlee! :)

*Finally, Happy Birthday, Boo Bear! I hope your day was as fabulous as you are. And, I cannot wait to hear about EMP.
Drink a beer on me, Ern.

No comments:

Post a Comment