Thursday, February 10, 2011

I hate having a 9-5 job...

... but I love my job. It's a "catch 22," you see? I'm a baker. Bakers can work the night shift, the early-morning-before-breakfast shift, or they can work at service, for lunch or dinner. Then, there's me, who wakes up and commutes to work in the big city (ok, the island, same diff) like every other businessman (or woman) in America. If I have to work (my parent's are loving my whining by the way), I guess I should do something I love, at a decent hour of the day. So, even though I hate the working part, I love the work, I like the freedom of halfway being on my own like a real grownup-ish, and I get paid to bake. I can't complain or whine too, too much.

And, get this... last week, I had orientation on Wednesday and Thursday. Then, I had three days off. I worked in the kitchen for the first time on Monday, and then, I had Tuesday and Wednesday off. Two days on, three days off, one day on, two days off. Yeah, that's more days off than on days. Haha. I think I will only have, well, one week that looks like this (this week), but it was fun while it lasted, right?

I report to Robyn, who graduated from Johnson and Wales in Charlotte after getting her Bachelor's from UNC Wilmington and who completed her internship/externship requirement while at JW at Kiawah! She primarily works production for Banquets and Catering. For the most part, her main concern is not the restaurants. Though I will have the opportunity to work in the restaurants, I will mostly work directly with Robyn on Banquets and other random pastry needs for the Sanctuary (cakes, special occasions, pop-ups, etc.) I am excited about working with Robyn, because I know I will be exposed to a lot of variety, recipes, techniques, etc. Every day will look and be different for me as a pastry extern in a large hotel.

Monday, February 7, 2011 (9am-5pm)
Production Day in the Pastry Kitchen with Robyn.
*Short tour of the kitchen and surrounding areas (laundry room, pot room, etc).
*Placed frozen cookies on sheet trays to bake and baked these cookies.
*Decorated Cookies, including cashew, pecan, coconut, chocolate espresso, almond, and that's all I can remember right now. This took a good portion of time. Pate a glace, or chocolate without the cocoa butter, takes time to microwave, stir, microwave, stir, and you need more chocolate than you think.
*Used the Dough Sheeter (holla) to roll out sugar cookie dough. I then used cookie cutters to shape X, O, and heart cookies.
*Almond Cookies, made with almond paste and powdered sugar mostly. I scooped and baked these.
*Explored Beaches and Cream, the adorable ice cream/ snack shop near the pool in the hotel, to find Sanctuary stickers to make goodie bags for people we are trying to impress to come stay at the hotel. I filled the bags and placed the sticker, though upside down the first go around (but I caught it before someone had to tell me), to close. Robyn decorated the sugar cookies (so cute) I rolled out on this day today (2.10.11) and they will be sold this weekend in honor of Valentine's Day in Beaches and Cream.
*Checked to make sure that Jasmine Porch was set for dessert service for dinner, by making sure they had plenty of bread pudding, key lime squares, garnishes, etc.

I think I could hang out in Jasmine Porch all day. Call me superficial, but the guys that work in this restaurant are fairly easy on the eyes, if you know what I mean (miss you, Nate :)). And, they are funny and cool and one went to UGA (hearing "GO Dawgs!" from across the kitchen melts my little heart), so obviously we have much in common. But the thing I could get used to the most is them cooking me lunch. Here's how it went down:
"Haley, do you want lunch?"
"Sure!"
"What do you want?"
I GET TO CHOOSE? (That's me thinking. Notice, no parentheses.) "I'm Southern. Just whip something up."
Carolina-style Barbecue Sandwich on Texas Toast with a Side of Pasta Salad served on a real plate. Why, thank you, boys!

Thursday, February 10, 2011 (9am-5pm)
Production Day in the Pastry Kitchen with Robyn, though Erin from the Ocean Room Restaurant and Temperance (like Bones, Katy Capers!!!) from the Jasmine Porch Restaurant, who both graduated from the CIA, worked/work in the same kitchen too.
*Chocolate Sucre Dough for tart shells tomorrow. I wrapped the dough and refrigerated it.
*Chocolate Chip Cookies (jumbo size). I think I have blisters from scooping so many. Ahh. I baked about 30 half jumbo cookies for something (Robyn asked and so I did).
*Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (jumbo size). I scooped these after the CC. Yes, feel sorry for me, because I get boo-boos from scooping cookies, I know.
*Chocolate Caramel Filling to fill the chocolate tart shells tomorrow. I made caramel using the wet method, added cream, then butter, and, finally, port wine. I poured this mixture over the chocolate to melt. And there you go, a yummy caramel chocolate filling.
*Red Velvet Cupcakes. I made the batter, using six ounces of food coloring (you can imagine my work table, hands, and side towel, though I did manage to not get any on my clothes. Go Haley.), scooped the cupcakes, baked them, and then wrapped them for tomorrow.
*Marquis Cakes. Butter and chocolate are melted together over a double boiler and added to eggs, vanilla, and sugar. This forms a ganache-like batter overnight. Tomorrow, Robyn will add raspberry puree and bake these cakes before I start my day. This is listed on the menu as raspberry chocolate flourless cake.
*Blondies. I filled one sheet tray, baked them, and wrapped them for tomorrow.
*Rolled Chocolate Espresso dough and shaped them by using a small, fluted cutter. I baked these for Robyn to finish for the Spa. (I think they want to give little treats to their guests this weekend.)
*Streusel for tomorrow. I made it and then put it in the refrigerator.

Robyn made a beautiful truffle plate for the romance package treat in honor of the weekend. It was amazing, with a chocolate flower and caramelized rice flour to garnish. I wish that I had taken a picture, but sadly it was swept away before I was able. Don't worry, I know there will plenty of fun things for me to post in the near future.

Today was a great day. I even got a short lunch break, albeit in the kitchen (and not with the JP boys), but still, it was a little break to eat and enjoy a Diet Coke (they brought it to me and don't know of my love for the real thing yet, sigh). Robyn even commented that her list for me this morning was overambitious, yet I finished everything and had time to help her with a few other things before I finished my shift.

As a reward for a great day in the kitchen, I went to Moe's (knows burritos) when I got back to Charleston. Now, I shall watch a few episodes of Bones before I call it a night, to get up in the morning to do this all over again (well not, this per se, but something baking related).

LOVE IS IN THE AIR

Haley

*Congratulations, Best Duck and husband.

2 comments:

  1. i ate a burrito (though mine was chipotle) for dinner before watching bones, toooooo! that's loco, hayreh. thanks for the shout out!! tempy would be so proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ridiculously adorable, the end. This was perfect, perfect, perfect. Miss you! Hope you're having loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete