Once upon a time in Alabama, there was a little boy swan, named Gerry Swann.
When he grew up, all he could think about was not being a swan(n) but being a tiger (rawr!). His dream came true when he attended Auburn University for college. While there, he met his little sunshine (from Florida, get it?), named Debbie. It was not long until Gerry was a smitten kitten, I mean swan(n), and he asked Debbie to be his mother swan(n) forever.
After a few years, they added a baby swan(n) to their pad, I mean pond. This little swan(n), named Kellee Dale, grew up to love children and pursued her dreams of becoming an elementary teacher. Three years after welcoming Kellee, mother, father, and baby added sister swan(n) to the family; her name was Kristy Leighann. Kristy Swann, being super crafty, artistic, and creative, flew the coupe, following her parent swan(n)s' steps to Auburn University to study architecture, and she will graduate this May. After five long years, mother swan(n) and father swan(n) felt their pond was incomplete and something was missing, and little baby Karen Barrett Swann came along. Baby Karen is not so little anymore, and she will graduate from high school in May. It will be exciting to see her spread her wings and to see where life takes her!
Oh, but little girls, even swan(n)s, grow up, fall in love, and must be a swan(n) no longer. On 06.07.08, almost two and a half years ago, Kellee married Brandon Roberts. She could not bare to drop her swan(n), even though she would forever be a maiden swan(n) (Swann is her maiden name, get it?). Even though, he was never a swan(n), marrying a Swann, makes you love the swan(n)s even more.
Mother and Father swan(n) could not be prouder of the home they've made. Soon, all their babies will leave their sight, but rest-assured, it will only be for a short time. Once a swan(n), always a swan(n), and to them, there is nothing greater to be. So, here's to the future. From two to five to four to six to three, back to two. Life is sweet as a swan(n). And they lived happily ever after...
The swan(n)s are the second coolest family I know. Each member no more special than the other. Each member as irreplaceable to me as the other four. My life would not be as rich without them in it. Thank you, swan(n)s for letting me come visit and be a part of your lavish pond world! And, thank you, for humoring me with this little swan(n) song. I love y'all!Thursday, January 13 (Day 7)
*Eclairs, made with diplomat cream (pastry cream and whipped cream), instead of the usual pastry cream. We piped a design on these as well, for a little something different. (Part of me feels like I came to culinary school to learn how to make an eclair. Well, I am fairly great at them now.)
*Piped Pate a Choux for Swans.
*Russian Cake.
*Sugared Pistachios.
Friday, January 14 (Day 8)*Pate a Choux Swans. The pate a choux we made yesterday was cut and refreshed in the oven. Laura and I made diplomat cream and piped this into the swan body. Then, we fit all the elements together and sprinkled them with powdered sugar.
*Russians. Pistachio mousseline (pastry cream, pistachio paste, and butter cream) pearls were piped on the top of one Russian cake, made yesterday. These were allowed to chill before placing another Russian cake on top and garnished with sugared pistachios.
Above: A single Russian piped dessert!
Above: Russians ready for service (ha!).
Above: Attack of the flock of swans!!!This is my last weekend in New York for a while. I cannot believe that the time has come for me to go on extern, something we talk about a lot and look forward to here at the Culinary from Day One of being on campus. I have so much to do before I can fly out a week from tomorrow. I need to pack. I need to finish my project that is due on Tuesday. I have class. I have grand buffet, and I have to serve at graduation. Phew. I am so excited though and will get everything done, running on pure adrenaline for what is all in store in my near future. And, the fact that it is 3* outside right now, makes me just want to runaway from here ASAP! (Negative degrees?! I have never experienced negative degrees! The thermometer should not even go back 0!)
THIS PEACH IS HEADED SOUTH
Hay Reh
Mom says....Not only can she bake delicious desserts...she can tell the best stories with her homemade goodies!! LUTM ps...we can't wait for you to fly south (get it!)
ReplyDeletetruly amazing!!!
ReplyDeletethank you Haley!!!!!
I love you and cannot wait for you
to come home.
Debbie
where are youuuuuu?!?!?!
ReplyDelete